PDA

View Full Version : McEvoy's play, simply awful?

James282
04-21-2004, 02:27 AM
Tom McEvoy wrote a recent article in CardPlayer about a tournament where he came in second place. This was the hand that he busted out on.

[ QUOTE ]
I limped in from the button with 8-5 suited. He checked. For the second time that day (earlier, he had won a big pot when he flopped a set of kings against pocket aces), pocket kings proved to be his salvation. On the flop of 10-9-5, I decided to semibluff with my pair of fives, and moved in on him. His two kings rode off into the sunset with my fortune in hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

He moves in when they each had about 24k chips and the blinds were 1500. There was 3k in the pot and he overbet by 20k. Am I missing something here? This seems to be one of the worst possible plays that you can make heads up at the end of a tournament.
-James

Johnsears
04-21-2004, 02:59 AM
wow no yeah thats horrible

Easy E
04-21-2004, 10:03 AM
Did he expect his opponent to only lay down if he went all in?
Does he explain his reasoning in the article?

I don't like the play myself

Jason Strasser
04-21-2004, 01:12 PM
I used to watch McEvoy get torn up heads up on PSTARS. He's not impressive.

Tyler Durden
04-21-2004, 02:04 PM
Tom McEvoy was at my table two weeks ago in a $100 PL multi on Stars and I thought he played horribly, including coldcalling the cutoff's steal raise when he was on the button w/ KQ. Really horrific stuff from a World Champ.

Edge34
04-21-2004, 02:56 PM
Which makes you wonder how many poor saps have actually fallen for his sales gimmick and bought his "Strategy and Percentage" cards, doesn't it?

-Edge

AJo Go All In
04-21-2004, 03:44 PM
you're assuming the opponent checked the flop. now, what if the opponent bet 5K, then a pot-sized raise would be to 18K.

James282
04-22-2004, 12:57 AM
He was first to act.
-James

t_petrosian
04-22-2004, 09:30 AM
I read that same thing and thought, "holy crap, I guess I have a LOT to learn about poker, because I do NOT understand this play at all..."

Seems some other people thought so as well... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

PokerPaul
04-22-2004, 10:59 AM
I played in the 4 queens tourney in las vegas last year...my first live big tourney event.

I was in the first two holdem events, and so was mceveoy.

In both cases he was out quite early..way before me. He was actually at my table at one time too, so i watched him closely so i could learn from a poker legend.

I thought then that he didnt seem that great, but i thought it was probably just my misconception cuz he's a world champ and renowned author.

Maybe i wasnt misconceived after all.......

SDA004
04-22-2004, 11:25 AM
In hind-sight the play looks awful, but lets look at it. The guy checked pocket K's with a limp in. Maybe he's got rags, maybe he's got AX, but i dont think you could imagine the guy to have A's or K's. Then the flop comes out ragged and he pairs up. Now if im Mcevoy Im thinkin the guy has overcards or a straight draw at best. Why not move in? He got unlucky that his opponent had pocket Ks, thats all.

James282
04-22-2004, 01:45 PM
He gave his opponent no chance to make a mistake. I doubt his opponent would fold a ten here, though he may fold a 5 and possibly a nine. McEvoy has bottom pair and goes all in. He will never get called when he is ahead and most of the time he is behind he will get called. If he thought his opponent had a draw, he could have bet the pot and taken it from there. Even if McEvoy had 2 pair or a set here, pushing would be a pretty crappy play.
-James