PDA

View Full Version : My read was good, but what about my raise?

Nate tha' Great
04-21-2004, 01:30 AM
Sometimes I can see it coming. I knew that this player was going to check-raise me when the board paired on the turn. I just knew it. And I knew just what he had. He had an ace. And a wheel draw. Hell, maybe he even had an ace, a wheel draw, and a pair of threes, too. But he didn't have trips. And I didn't think that he had the straight.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP folds, Button folds, SB <font color="purple">(Fishy McFish)</font> calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
Fishy McFish checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Fishy McFish calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
Fishy McFish checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Fishy McFish raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Fishy McFish calls.

River: (10.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Fishy McFish checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Fishy McFish folds.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 10.50 BB, won by Hero.</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: 1 BB, overbet by Hero.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 9h 9d (two pair, nines and fours).
Outcome: Hero wins 11.50 BB. </font>

Vehn
04-21-2004, 01:33 AM
I hope 3 betting the turn with an overpair on an otherwise benign board is not so rare for you that you think it is worthy of posting a routine hand that features it.

Nate tha' Great
04-21-2004, 01:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hope 3 betting the turn with an overpair on an otherwise benign board is not so rare for you that you think it is worthy of posting a routine hand that features it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If anything, it is probably too common for me, which is sort of the point buried within the title of the post. It *feels* really cool when you make a play like this, but how much money does it make you?

blackaces13
04-21-2004, 02:22 AM
Is check raising the turn when the board pairs a common move pulled by a fish? If it is I have a lot to learn about shorthanded play.

I usually stick to $.5-1 10 handed games and when the fish CR the turn there when the board pairs they have trips everytime.

Nate tha' Great
04-21-2004, 02:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is check raising the turn when the board pairs a common move pulled by a fish? If it is I have a lot to learn about shorthanded play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is extremely common.

blackaces13
04-21-2004, 03:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, it is extremely common

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like a pretty clever move to me. I guess at $10/20 the fish are a lot more aggressive than the fish at $.5/1 or 6-handed $1/2.

1800GAMBLER
04-21-2004, 10:34 AM
Waiting untill the river to raise would be dumb, calling the turn would be dumb. Why do you think this play makes so little? He's drawing to probably an average of 7 outs on the turn, this raise has value.