PDA

View Full Version : maximum value from marginal hand vs. LAG

DcifrThs
04-21-2004, 12:01 AM
this is a hand that exemplifies a more general concept...getting max value from a marginal hand you think is best. OR do you want to simply win the pot now.

HAND:

party 15/30, loose faily aggressive preflop and on the flop player behind me...haven't seen many hands past the flop that he slows down and doesn't end up winning (by betting or best hand.

i limp utg with As8s. two callers to him (they fold on the flop-these two at least without top pair or good draw). he raises=two pictures or something he likes. all fold to me i call others call

flop: Jd8c2c. i check planning to c-r when he bets, he does and callers fold.

turn: 5s. i bet he folds.

now i realize i won the pot, great. but i could have possibly collected more money from the other callers or the LAG. i was thinking i could bet out...then get the two callers and 3bet when he raises, THEN knock them out and be heads up with the LAG. i could even c-r turn or maybe bet turn, check call river (which was my plan at the time)

what do you all think about best way to get max return here. or should i just keep to thinking i should win this pot (which was how i was thinking).

-Barron

andyfox
04-21-2004, 12:06 AM
The worse my hand, the more I want to eliminate competition and win the pot right now. Here you have one pair of 8s and no backdoor draws. There are two clubs on board and possible striaght draw. Unless a non-club 6,5,4 or 3 comes on both the turn and the river, it could get dicey, especially out of position.

With the aggressive player in perfect position for a flop check-raise, I'd do it every time.

DcifrThs
04-21-2004, 12:13 AM
one extra thing to think about...its likely one of his outs is no good...i.e. the ace.

now what ...still c-r?
-Barron

andyfox
04-21-2004, 12:15 AM
Yes, because if he has an ace he's likely to call the c-r.

DcifrThs
04-21-2004, 12:19 AM
ok. just wanted to double check my thinking here. when it came down j8x my thought process was, just win it!

then after the hand i thought if i bet out, i could get the two calls before he raises and then 3bet to knock out the callers...but if he just calls id have wished i checked.

i'm down with the c-r. thanks andy
-Barron