PDA

View Full Version : Something I saw in a 200+15 just now...

blackaces13
04-20-2004, 11:46 PM
3 players left, blinds 150/300 limit hold em.

BB has about T2000, Button has about T8000 and the SB has 180, leaving him with a mere 30 chips after posting the SB.

Button folds and then SB folds as well giving himslef the button but with only T30 remaining.

My question is this, even if SB had 27o shouldn't he still be playing this one out because if he doubles up he at least has some outside chance of getting back in contention or at least outlasting the BB? Leaving himself with 30 chips just seems completely hopeless, he would have to double up 4 times just to be able to post the BB. Also, he is getting an incredible 15 to 1 on completing. Certainly there is no hand in hold em that can even be close to a 15:1 underdog against a random hand. AA vs A6 is probably only about a 15:1 favorite and its the absolute worst scenario I can dream of.

Eihli
04-21-2004, 12:19 AM
i think KK vs K2 is the worst at about 12:1. i think...

Stoneii
04-21-2004, 03:14 AM
yes, he must play any 2 imo. Was he sitting out? I can't imagine someone playing at that level throwing away his SB unless he was dealt "Mrs Bun the bakers wife" or something similar /images/graemlins/smile.gif

sabre170
04-21-2004, 11:33 AM
So, how did he do?
It is certainly possible to get down to T30 and come back.
I saw it last night.

JGalt
04-21-2004, 11:47 AM
I agree, I think any two cards should be played in this situation. Reminds me of playing in a 55+5 tourney and player to my left when in the BB would fold their cards to a call. Was very weird, was even doing it when it was down to four with only one caller.

eastbay
04-21-2004, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3 players left, blinds 150/300 limit hold em.

BB has about T2000, Button has about T8000 and the SB has 180, leaving him with a mere 30 chips after posting the SB.

Button folds and then SB folds as well giving himslef the button but with only T30 remaining.

My question is this, even if SB had 27o shouldn't he still be playing this one out because if he doubles up he at least has some outside chance of getting back in contention or at least outlasting the BB? Leaving himself with 30 chips just seems completely hopeless, he would have to double up 4 times just to be able to post the BB. Also, he is getting an incredible 15 to 1 on completing. Certainly there is no hand in hold em that can even be close to a 15:1 underdog against a random hand. AA vs A6 is probably only about a 15:1 favorite and its the absolute worst scenario I can dream of.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only caveat might be that if there's a non-biggest stack going all-in every hand, you're giving him a few shots at busting before the blinds come around.

But in a $200, it seems unlikely that someone would do that on the bubble when someone has 30 chips.

eastbay

William
04-21-2004, 12:38 PM
He probably had "post and fold" activated and had gone to bed.

William /images/graemlins/cool.gif

blackaces13
04-21-2004, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So, how did he do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you asked. Amazingly on the very next hand, the guy with 30 chips now has the button, the other 2 stacks of 8k and 2k go to war and the small stack ends up busting out.

So Mr. 30 chips made the final 2 and of course he lost in a few hands, if he didn't that would REALLY be a story.

So just this one time it worked out for the best for him and netted him a couple hundred dollars. I still think its a bad play. The survival he gains by folding and taking the button does not make up for putting himself in a situation where he as to double up 4 times to be able to post the BB or passing up 15:1 odds to call in the proccess.

tommy2
04-21-2004, 05:32 PM
what the heck is "Mrs. Buns the bakers wife"????