PDA

View Full Version : Foxwoods Satalite Formats...Strategy

04-20-2004, 11:02 PM
With the Foxwoods satalites starting up for the 2004 World Poker Finals, some questions come up regarding strategyy. For those who havent played in these, you get 1000 in chips and the blinds start at 25/25 and go up every 15 minutes. This is very different from the Online S&G's. Should one start with a more aggressive strategy or should one try and be more patient in getting better hands?

Thoughts? Comments? Experience?

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-21-2004, 09:40 AM
Is it the same Act I, Act II, Act III format from last year?

Toro
04-21-2004, 09:57 AM
Basically yes, except that the Act I's are more expensive but with more players (4, I think) advancing to Act II. So, to me, the Act I's don't look like a very good value. I'll probably jump right into the Act II's.

Steve S
04-21-2004, 10:22 AM
The new Foxwoods Act tourney structure

$60 ($45+$15) WPF Act І Poker Tournament
(1st, 2nd, 3rd place will receive an entry/seat into an Act ІІ Poker Tournament of their choice.)
$150 ($135 + $15) WPF Act ІІ Poker Tournament
(1st place will receive an entry/seat into an Act ІІІ Poker Tournament.)
(2nd & 3rd place will receive a $150 Act ІІ Poker Tournament Entry Coupon.)
$1,050 ($1,020 + $30) WPF Act ІІІ Poker Tournament
(Winner receives a seat/entry into the 2004 WPF $10,000 WPT Championship event.)

With the quality of play in the ACT I tourneys (at least from last year), I think just buying into the Act II's would be a mistake.

Just one man's opinion

Steve

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-21-2004, 11:03 AM
I just looked it up, and the strucure is much better. 3 from the Act I go to the Act II, and the 2nd and 3rd finihers in the Act II get an buy-in to another Act II.

Gee, I wonder where I'll be on my day off this Friday. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Bubbagump
04-21-2004, 12:47 PM
Depending on which Act you are playing, your strategy will vary.

With the ACT I sattelites, since you only have to come in 3rd or better, your best bet is to play a tight game in the early rounds, (similar to the suggested SnG strategy found here). Gradually becoming more aggressive as players get knocked out and your less skilled opponents go into survival mode tightening up to limp in for 3rd. It's important not to go overboard when you loosen up. You don't have to get 'all' the chips, just enough to keep you out of a 'short stack' situation. I did very well in these last year and my basic strategy was to play the opposite of what my opponents played. If they were tight, I played loose, if they were loose I'd play tight. Last year you had to place 1st or 2nd to get to the Act 2 and it was pretty easy given the skill level of most of the other players.

You still have to win the Act 2 this year to advance to the Act 3 but I think you get a voucher for another Act 2 for 2nd place. I have a lot of trouble with the Act 2's. I guess I'm just not good enough yet. There are plenty of players here who should be able to point out the optimum strategy for the Act 2 events.

Bubbagump

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-21-2004, 12:55 PM
I have a lot of trouble with the Act 2's. I guess I'm just not good enough yet.

Same for me. I finished 2nd in half the Act II's I played last year. At least this year that'll give me another shot.

Plus hopefully I've learned something in the interim, but that remains to be seen. /images/graemlins/confused.gif