PDA

View Full Version : tournament scoring system- suggestions?

Lottery Larry
04-20-2004, 10:38 PM
I have an initial idea for an ongoing scoring system for my home tournaments. I would appreciate any suggestions

My goal is to reward both performance and attendance.

10 Top 1/2 of non-cash
15 Cash winners
+5 3rd place (20 total)
+10 2nd place (25 total)
+20 1st place (35 total)

I want this to fit for any size tournament- 3 tables is probably our largest- other than small 1-winner tables.

Some questions that I have:

1) If a tournament would only pay two places, then should the spots get the 15 points for cashing and the extra points?

2) Should the lengths of the tournament rounds affect the scoring?

3) Any other suggestions?

Easy E
04-21-2004, 10:14 AM
Do you think one 1st and one 3rd is better than two 2nd place finishes?

Since you want to "reward attendance"

- how many cash finishes should you need to equal a first place win?
(How many spots are usually paid?)

- How many non-cashing tournaments should you enter to equal or beat one 3rd-2nd-1st place?

- Should 2 cash places and one last-place finish be worth more than one 1st place finish? Or one 2nd and one bubble finish be more than one 1st place?

If a tournament would only pay two places, then should the spots get the 15 points for cashing and the extra points?

No- you're doubling up for no reason. If you only pay 2, then 3rd place is a non-cash position and should only get 10 points

Maybe- longer rounds implies less of a crapshoot. Thus skill should come more into play. Whether that should be worth more points? I don't know- maybe +5 points for each cash finish position?

3) Any other suggestions

You say nothing about the cost of the tournaments- are you adjusting based on buy-in size?

ZootMurph
04-21-2004, 03:13 PM
I really don't have any suggestions, but I have a question: What is the reasoning for this? Are you planning on giving a year end prize, or just as a way to 'measure up'?

Lottery Larry
04-21-2004, 05:12 PM
I don't think we will do a prize this year- maybe next. Don't know if it makes any sense- they already won a bunch of money, what does the extra money do?

Mostly it's a fun way to measure up as you said- maybe motivates people to come out more often.

Lottery Larry
04-21-2004, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you think one 1st and one 3rd is better than two 2nd place finishes?

YES

Since you want to "reward attendance"

- how many cash finishes should you need to equal a first place win?
(How many spots are usually paid?)

USUALLY 3-5

- How many non-cashing tournaments should you enter to equal or beat one 3rd-2nd-1st place?

THAT IS ONE OF THE QUESTIONS I HAVE. I WANT REGULAR PLAYERS TO OUTPOINT ONE-TIMERS BUT STILL WANT TO REWARD GOOD PLAY/RESULTS

- Should 2 cash places and one last-place finish be worth more than one 1st place finish? Or one 2nd and one bubble finish be more than one 1st place?

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

If a tournament would only pay two places, then should the spots get the 15 points for cashing and the extra points?

No- you're doubling up for no reason. If you only pay 2, then 3rd place is a non-cash position and should only get 10 points

OKAY

Maybe- longer rounds implies less of a crapshoot. Thus skill should come more into play. Whether that should be worth more points? I don't know- maybe +5 points for each cash finish position?

I WAS NOT SURE IF DURATION MADE THAT MUCH DIFFERENCE.

3) Any other suggestions

You say nothing about the cost of the tournaments- are you adjusting based on buy-in size?

[/ QUOTE ]

NO- BUY-IN HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SUCCESSFUL PLAY, I THINK?