PDA

View Full Version : Check it thru......?

sublime
04-20-2004, 10:33 PM
Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (3.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

River: (7.25 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 7.25 BB, won by Hero.</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: 1 BB, overbet by Hero.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ac 7c (two pair, aces and sevens).
Outcome: Hero wins 8.25 BB. </font>

JudgeRW
04-20-2004, 10:37 PM
I would have bet the flop. I'm curious to hear your reasons for slow playing in that situation.

symphonic
04-20-2004, 10:39 PM
Never slowplay two pair at low limits. It's a very vulnerable hand.

sublime
04-20-2004, 10:40 PM
With my pre-flop raise and an A falling on the flop, if I bet I dont think I get any action. The only way I am in trouble is if somebody is on a flush draw.

Which is why I posted this, while I did check it thru this time it is not the norm for me.

sublime
04-20-2004, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I was looking for.....Thanks guys, I wasnt sure and now I am. 99% of the time I bet this flop, for some reason I was struck with the brilliant thought of checking it thru. I can see why this is not a good idea.

Nottom
04-20-2004, 11:42 PM
The pots not big enough and your hand is too good to be getting tricky on the flop. I think you've been reading too many wait until the turn to raise top pair posts.

sin808
04-21-2004, 12:29 AM
bet it

kenewbie
04-21-2004, 03:29 AM
Assuming someone is on a flush draw he will call your flop bet (+0.50). He will not however bet into on the turn so you bet and get called again (+1). Profit +1.5.

When the flop checks through you can assume you will be bet into at a loose table. You gain +0 on the flop but the flush draw will call a turn raise (+2) giving you a profit of +2. (+0.5 above betting the flop).

Also, this way you dont loose as much money if a spade comes on the turn, as you have been saving your bet.

You are not going to make a 4-flush draw fold.

If noone has a flush draw then your hand will probably be good all the way to the river, only 3 people came to the flop.

Can someone explain why this reasoning is wrong?

k

Trix
04-21-2004, 03:41 AM
You must bet here, you always bet that kind of flop when you raise one limper preflop.

Besides that, giving a free card might give someone a flushdraw or complete a gutshot.

Dont worry they will call.

NightWalker5
04-21-2004, 05:44 AM
Bet the flop its just to dangerous to give a free card. And I can see where you get your reasoning kenewbie but there are too many variables when you make that play.

chief444
04-21-2004, 08:25 AM
kenewbie...I understand your thinking but this is why I don't agree:

[ QUOTE ]
When the flop checks through you can assume you will be bet into at a loose table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is true. If an opponent is aggressive and you are sure about this then this may be an acceptable play but most micro players are loose/passive in my experience. I think you lose out on .5 BB more often than you gain .5 BB here.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, this way you dont loose as much money if a spade comes on the turn, as you have been saving your bet.

You are not going to make a 4-flush draw fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. However this is not a good way to think about this situation. If your opponent has a flush draw you are nearly a 2-1 favorite on the flop to win the hand. Don't give your opponents free cards.

That being said, there are occasional times when I would play a hand this way. But only in the B&amp;M I play at against an opponent I felt sure would open on the turn. I can't imagine I would ever make this play online at a micro game.

Raiser
04-21-2004, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that he should bet out here (due to the semi coordinated board), but I'm not sure you can say never slowplay two pair. I agree that you should slowplay as little as possible at low limits but lets say the flop was A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif instead. In this case his hand isn't that vulnerable because he has two pair that aren't connectors. If you are playing correclty pre-flop then most flopped two pair hands are made holding connectors meaning that straight possibilities are out there. When you play AXs though, I think there are some times when you can slow down.

Thoughts?

SofaCoach
04-21-2004, 08:52 PM
Is it just me or do the rest of you think it VERY suspicious when the PF raiser checks the flop? You rarely see this at micro and when you do it screams "SLOWPLAY!".

editing to re-phrase that the play doesn't scream slowplay so much as whispers it your ear. In either case, I proceed more cautiously than if the raiser bet out.