PDA

View Full Version : flopped 2 pair on the bubble

Lazymeatball
04-20-2004, 09:36 PM
Here is an example where I don't think I played the hand too poorly if this were in a ring game, but in a tourney situation on the bubble it may have been a crucial error. I never asked to flop two pair against a big stack, it just happenned. The fact that my opponent (bigstack) was weak passive and played it poorly doesn't help.

Party Limit HE $10+1

Seat 1 is the button
Total number of players : 4
Seat 1: BigStack ( $4103 )
Seat 5: MedStack1 ( $807 )
Seat 6: Hero ( $1970 )
Seat 8: MedStack2 ( $1120 )

Stakes (300/600)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Ts 7s ]
MedStack2 folds, MedStack1 folds, Big Stack calls (300), Hero checks.

** Dealing Flop ** [ 8s, Th, 7c ] 2 players
Bingo flop, I go for the checkraise to try to win it either there or on the next street, if he does have a 9, i want him to pay.
hero checks, BigStack bets [300], Hero raises [600], BigStack calls [300].

** Dealing Turn ** [ Ac ] headsup
this A doesn't scare my two pair, so i value bet.
Hero bets [600], BigStack calls [600]

** Dealing River ** [ Jd ] headsup (completes the straight for anyone with a 9) alright, so If I did put him on a 9, why did I bet out when his draw completes??? My theory is that the pot was huge and I wasn't going to fold my last 470 getting 7.7:1 if checked and he bet, so why not bet it.

Hero is all-In for (470), BigStack calls [470].

Hero shows [ Ts, 7s ] two pairs, tens and sevens.
BigStack shows [ 8c, 8d ] three of a kind, eights.

Hero finished in fourth place (bubble)
BigStack wins 4090 chips from the main pot with three of a kind, eights.

Alright so the goon flopped a set on me and either made a brilliant slow play knowing I would bet it all the way for him, or he feared that I flopped a straight. Either way I think he played horribly.

Does anyone try to play this hand with less chips in the pot, or was betting for value all the way the best way for me to accumulate chips and try to win 1st place? Did I just get unlucky flopping 2 pair against a set?
Comments, help appreciated.

Losing all
04-21-2004, 01:45 AM
preflop- What can you do? free play. If you completed from the SB against bigstack I'd say mistake, but you didn't.

Flop, If this were NL I would have pushed in hopes of taking it there, not that it would have helped in this case. But it isn't NL, so I don't see how you can play it any differently. (fold here is a puss$ play I just can't make) if you ended up 4th after a fold, you'd have a real reason to second guess yourself.

river, Even though you were pretty sure you were beat I can't see laying it down leaving yourself with t470 and an excellent chance on 4th anyways.

You played it the way I would have. maybe I play it wrong too, but I say bad timing, not play. Like you said, you didn't want to flop a nice, second best hand.

Girazze
04-21-2004, 02:34 AM
After this flop, what hand did you put him on?

Lazymeatball
04-21-2004, 07:33 PM
Most players I would say they were just trying to steal the pot from a BigBlind who has yet to indicate he has any interest in this pot, but this guy wasn't that creative. He was very passive (as seen by limping in on the button with 4 players) so he could have been playing some sort of suited connector or one gapper that he wanted to see a cheap flop with, and he might have connected with top or middle pair.

Alot of times after I show strength by checkraising a guy on the flop, he'll call the flop, and then fold when I lead out on the turn. Had I smoothcalled the flop and checkraised the turn, this guy might have felt more commited to the pot and be willing to call it down.

Even though I felt I had the best hand, I wanted to get this guy to fold as quickly as possible.

Now that I've calmed down a bit I can pass it off mostly as a bad time to flop two pair. Bubbling just sucks so I figured I'd double check to see if I could have done anything better.