PDA

View Full Version : Can I get a clear definition of "value bet"?

Buckmulligan
04-20-2004, 07:30 PM
I read about this all the time, but the definition is vague. Can someone explain it to me?

thenextguy
04-20-2004, 07:34 PM
A bet on the river when you believe you have the best hand and can get called by a worse hand.

Buckmulligan
04-20-2004, 07:38 PM
Can you make a value bet on other streets?

AZK
04-20-2004, 07:48 PM
Absolutely. For example: You hold Axs and the flop comes with 2 of your suit. You are roughly 2 to 1 to make that flush by the river. Assuming the rest of the board doesn't counterfit your hand, any money you put into the pot that gets matched by X callers where X > 2 is considered a value bet...

thenextguy
04-20-2004, 08:00 PM
Yes, I shouldn't have only said "river." There isn't anything that restricts it to the river, but it is usually discussed in that context because there aren't any more cards to come. The chance to improve your hand on the flop or turn adds complexity.

CrisBrown
04-20-2004, 10:25 PM
Hi Buck,

The best definition I've found is "betting with what you believe is the best hand, in order to get paid for it." I.e.: with a value bet, you want callers, so you can get paid off with your best hand, as distinguished from a semi-bluff (where you don't want callers, but have outs to make the best hand if called), or a pure bluff (where you lose if called).

At a loose table -- or against a loose opponent -- you bluff and semi-bluff less (you're more likely to get called), but value bet more (they'll often call with a beaten hand).

At a tight table -- or against a tight opponent -- you bluff and semi-bluff more (you're less likely to get called), but value bet less (they'll rarely call with a beaten hand).

Cris