PDA

View Full Version : Help with a monster

Thebram
04-20-2004, 04:22 PM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Hero raises, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: 4.50 BB

No showdown. Hero wins 4.50 BB.

I feel that the PFR is 100% correct. The problem is, after the flop, how effective would it have been for me to give a free card or two?
At the time, I wasn't really worried about anyone catching up, but I thought a check by me would look too suspicious. I figured since everyone called pre-flop, then at least one person would call another SB on the flop.

So, should I have slowed down, or was I just unlucky nobody wanted to play?

DoctorDrew
04-20-2004, 04:33 PM
I don't think you would ever get any action with this. If you check it through, it would take a miracle to get anyone to play with you on the flop. I would have slowplayed this on the flop but I doubt the results would have been different.

On the other hand If you hadn't raised PF, you would have missed out on 3 SBs beacuse I don't see anyone without an A playing here (and 3 are dead). Sometimes you can't get much out of your monsters.

NightWalker5
04-20-2004, 04:43 PM
I would have slowplayed the flop and if it got checked through I would have bet and picked it up on the turn. Although if someone were to get a flush on the turn you might have gotten good action.

deacsoft
04-20-2004, 05:42 PM
I agree that there's little harm in ckecking the flop. Might as well try to get someone to bet. Although, I do feel it would have been hard to get any one to bet unless some hit their flush draw (if there was one). I think you could play it this way every time though.

thrillhouse
04-20-2004, 06:08 PM
I would definetly slow play this flop, and hope a diamond comes on the turn. If this happens, then you might get someone with the Kd or close to it to stick around to try and draw to the flush. This is a very tough flop to play with your hand and it is one of the rare occasions where you need to really play tricky.
-Thrillho

adanthar
04-21-2004, 04:24 PM
I certainly check the flop, and if no diamond comes and it's checked to me I also check the turn. If it does show up I bet hoping to get checkraised.

There's no sense betting here since no one without a 4 or an A will call- may as well let the KJ and maybe the pair of sixes hang around to catch their second best hand.

Nak
04-21-2004, 04:32 PM
I agree, it seems unlikely to get action w/o a flush.

Nak

nolanfan34
04-21-2004, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At the time, I wasn't really worried about anyone catching up, but I thought a check by me would look too suspicious.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is another reason TO check. If you do, someone might think you were raising with something like KQ on the button, which most people would do on the button. Checking would possibly create suspicion that you DON'T have a big PP IMO. Then if you check it again on the turn, someone might take a shot at the pot behind you.

But like previous posters said, I don't know there's much you can do sometimes with a monster like that. The only thing worse is to raise with AA and have everyone fold to your raise PF! /images/graemlins/grin.gif