PDA

View Full Version : WSOP Double Shootout Report

italianstang
04-20-2004, 03:37 PM
Was in Vegas this last weekend and played three of the double shootout satellites. They cost $125 to enter and are played ten handed. The winner gets $1000 in buy-in chips and $120 in cash. The $1000 buy-in chips can be used to enter a $1000 single table satellite to get in the big event or for any of the other WSOP events. Players start with $1000 in tournament chips (8 100's and 8 25's) blinds start at 25 and 25 and move up every 15 minutes. They were running these pretty much all day at the Horseshoe downtown as soon as they got 10 players together which never took very long, there were also a number of slightly different structed satellites that were going as well.

FIRST TRY:
Since second place pays the same as 10th place I figured I needed to take my shot if I got the chance. First hand, I am on the big blind. Button raises the 25 blind to 75, SB folds. I look down to see A /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif and I raise it to 250. The button then re-raises all-in. I figure I will have a pretty good advantage if I can double up here and like I said before, I need to take my shots, so I call. He turns over pocket kings, no help on the board, and I am eliminated thirty seconds after the satellite starts.

SECOND TRY:
Nothing interesting at all, got blinded down, played a few crappy hands really badly, definitely deserved to lose.

THIRD TRY:
After $250 worth of buy-in satellites and not a single winning hand, I decide to play really conservatively. I end up picking up a few good hands and make it down to three players with the chip lead. The other two playes really want to chop but I refuse because I am here to get in the WSOP after all, what am I going to do with $350 bucks? Anyway, the blinds by this point are so large that I get beat, probably my own fault. Overall an interesting trip.

Side note, the final event of the WPT bellagio $25,000 buy-in thing started on Sunday so I went and watched some of that. Ben Affleck was in it, so was Jon Favreau from Swingers, James Wood, and believe it or not Al Borland (dont know his real name) from Home Improvement. All the big time pros were there too of course.

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-20-2004, 04:00 PM
I am here to get in the WSOP after all, what am I going to do with $350 bucks?

Uh, enter 3 more Satellites?

Anyway, the blinds by this point are so large

See, this would've made the decision to chop much easier. If the blinds vs. total chips in play suggest it's a crapshoot, take the cash and play again. You'd be back to almost even for the day.

Gallopin Gael
04-20-2004, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and believe it or not Al Borland (dont know his real name) from Home Improvement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Richard Karn

and yes I am ashamed that I knew this without having to look it up /images/graemlins/blush.gif