PDA

View Full Version : Sitting out entire SnGs?

jedi
04-20-2004, 03:16 PM
There was a post about ethical behavior when faced with a "sitting out" opponent in a SnG. My question is this: Is it possible to profit from sitting out in a SnG often enough that you can just start the tournament and let it happen? I guess you would need a blind structure that was fast, with high blinds relative to stack sizes and a player base that likes to take all-in risks early in a tournament. I've heard of friends that have come in 2nd place in tournaments while not winning a single hand and I was wondering if this might be a money-making strategy while playing other games or tournaments.

TylerD
04-20-2004, 03:25 PM
I'm guessing no. It might happen occasionally at $5 and $10 buy-ins but there is no way this is sustainable and would never happen at levels above that.

LetsRock
04-20-2004, 05:52 PM
I've played in a bunch of SnGs where I couldn't play once the tourney started (goofing off at work and something came up) and finished in 3rd place in many of them.

I've been real tempted to enter a bunch of tourneys at once and just sit out and see what happens.

jedi
04-20-2004, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing no. It might happen occasionally at $5 and $10 buy-ins but there is no way this is sustainable and would never happen at levels above that.

[/ QUOTE ]

IF this were a viable strategy, I wouldn't need to play any higher than this. Remember, it requires a certain table type. Higher buy-in tournaments would have less of those types of players.

jedi
04-20-2004, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I've been real tempted to enter a bunch of tourneys at once and just sit out and see what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Part of the reason I ask this question is because I'm whoring on Bugsy's Club right now. Their blind structure seems really fast and I've seen as many as 4 people bust out by the 2nd round. What this means is that if I don't have a hand, I (and 2 others) have roughly the same amount of chips we've started with, but the 3 others have basically doubled up. Even with this, I've managed to come in 3rd place by playing survival and doubling up when I've needed to.

Who knows, maybe I'll try it tonight.

Losing all
04-21-2004, 02:08 AM
I think this is a terrible idea! as bad as the play is in some of these 10+1's, there's almost always a rock garden quality to the final 4-6. I could see doing this 100 times without a money finish. Or maybe you get lucky and get 3-5 3rd's.

Tosh
04-21-2004, 07:44 AM
Your most likely finish is 4th-5th.