PDA

View Full Version : Pre flop raises

sublime
04-20-2004, 01:00 PM
I dont have the hand history in front of me (email server down) but have a question regardless. If I hold a hand that is raiseable (KQs) in m-late positon and get raised right in front of me, I should:
A) 3 bet
b) Fold
c) Call

Based on my read, and if no read assume he is typical and 3bet?

In this instance I called and immediatly knew I made a mistake.

I know i have read on these forums that you should either 3-bet or fold, I just dont think I know why.......

Festus22
04-20-2004, 01:05 PM
Is your question implying that it is folded to LP who raises? It makes quite a difference if there's limpers and how many.

sublime
04-20-2004, 01:11 PM
Off the top of my head, I believe there was 1 limper in front of raiser.

thrillhouse
04-20-2004, 01:51 PM
I don't know if I'll be in the minority here or not, but I thought about it for a while, and I really think you definetly need to call instead of 3-betting it. The reason is you are playing KQs which is a good hand, but is even better with the more players you have on the flop, in case you catch a flush draw. I think by reraising you might isolate the raiser, which isn't as good if you don't have an Ace, because you'll probably be behind. Also you may be dominated.
-Thrillho

mikeyKay
04-20-2004, 01:59 PM
i dont know if this is right...but id say in most conditions i would just want to call. i would think that there is a good chance that i am behind the raiser at this point, and i would like more players in the hand rather than isolating myself with just the raiser. with something like AQo i would 3 bet or any other hand i would rather play heads up. i think in this situation i want hands worse than KQs to stay in, hence just calling instead of raising. i could be completely wrong.
-mike

ZootMurph
04-20-2004, 02:12 PM
I don't know about everyone else, but very few hands I'd raise with would be underdogs to KQs (AA-TT, AK, AQ... in late position with only 1 limper, I'd also raise 77-99, AJ, KQ, JTs, ATs, and depending on the raiser and limper, a few others that KQs dominates). In addition, you are only looking at three players, so you really don't have great implied odds compared to the odds that you have the best hand. Being in this hand, you would most likely need to hit your flush or a monster flop to win, so, I personally would fold the hand, or if you think it's necessary to play it... call with the thought that you'd fold to any bet unless you hit a big flop or straight/flush draw.

KQs is not a 3-bet hand for me... just isn't good enough against enough raising hands.

sublime
04-20-2004, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
KQs is not a 3-bet hand for me... just isn't good enough against enough raising hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cool, I can agree with that. But with a limper and the blinds to come (remeber this a micro table) I think folding here is the last option. I could be up against a mid pocket pair A10s, AJo etc....

If I had been sitting at this table for an hour and noticed raiser had rock like qualitys, than sure a fold is in order. Bu that was not the case.

bernie
04-20-2004, 07:18 PM
If he is typical, you fold. If you think he's very weak raising, you might raise. Even though you cant really beat a weak raise like Ax.

By calling this, you will have a hard time really collecting if you hit a draw since, at the moment, a prime aggressor is on your right. If you hit, you will have to go for overcalls instead of being able to raise since that could shut out others who may pay off if the positioning was different. (rharless had a good post explaining this. Not sure where it's at though. For some reason it sticks in my mind)

There are times i might call this, but very rare. Lack of info=fold.

Now if there are some callers in between, it changes a little at times. Other times, it's still a fold.

b