PDA

View Full Version : 89s - Hit Two Pair on Turn, Bets start Flying

Sarge85
04-20-2004, 03:07 AM
Nothing really to report on the table. Don't try to talk me out of the limp PF, for this table it was ok. - Where I need help is

Action on Flop
Action on the Turn in the face of heavy resitance.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Sarge is UTG+2 with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. MP2 posts a blind of $1.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, Sarge calls, MP1 calls, MP2 (poster) checks, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(7 players) </font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Sarge bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, BB folds, Sarge calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Sarge raises</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls $1.50 (All-In), <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">Sarge ??????

Sarge /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Sarge85
04-20-2004, 10:36 AM

Raiser
04-20-2004, 10:54 AM
Maybe I'm a wuss, but I wouldn't bet that flop with 6 opponents.

Once your 3-bet by the button on the turn, you have to wonder if he has set. I'd call here and check call the river.

Rico Suave
04-20-2004, 11:32 AM
Hey Sarge:

I do not like your flop bet here.....6 opponents with second pair crappy kicker and a 2 tone flop. You will likely have lots of callers.

I like your turn raise, but the button's 3-bet is bad news. I probably call this down without a read on the button, but I doubt you will win here unimproved.

--Rico

sublime
04-20-2004, 11:46 AM
Check/call the flop.

Call down the 3-bet on the turn, and be prepared to be shown JT.

Festus22
04-20-2004, 11:48 AM
Why did you bet the flop?

Call the turn 3-bet and hope to boat. (I hope your turn question is whether to call or cap. Folding would be un2+2like.)

Sarge85
04-20-2004, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I'd call a bet anyway.

Incidently I capped the Turn /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I don't have the full hand history at work, but I'll post results tonight.

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

ZootMurph
04-20-2004, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'm a wuss, but I wouldn't bet that flop with 6 opponents.

Once your 3-bet by the button on the turn, you have to wonder if he has set. I'd call here and check call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't bet out against 6 opponents either. On the 3-bet, I'm more worried about JT than a set here. You have one 8, and one is on the board... slim chance he hit the set on the turn, and so it's pretty safe bet he has JT when he caps.

I pay off the straight with these two pairs also. Cap the river if 8 or 9 hits for the full.

Rico Suave
04-20-2004, 04:01 PM
Hey Zoot:

[ QUOTE ]
On the 3-bet, I'm more worried about JT than a set here

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember, the button raised the flop. So if the button has JT, then it is exactly J /images/graemlins/heart.gifT /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I think that a set is perfectly plausible here.

--Rico

NightWalker5
04-20-2004, 04:21 PM
I would call the 3-bet on the turn and check-fold the river if I didn't improve.

DoctorDrew
04-20-2004, 04:52 PM
Being an impatient bastard, I would probably cap this rather than waiting for SB to do so and having it come around again for me to call. But that's just me. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

And check/fold the river if I didn't improve.

Raiser
04-20-2004, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And check/fold the river if I didn't improve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? That would be a 20 BB pot. Are you more than 95% sure that you are beat?

DoctorDrew
04-20-2004, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you more than 95% sure that you are beat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Rico Suave
04-20-2004, 05:44 PM
Dohh!

I missed the double gutter. JT does not have to be of hearts. I still think a set reasonable though.

--Rico

surfdoc
04-20-2004, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Because I'd call a bet anyway.

Incidently I capped the Turn

I don't have the full hand history at work, but I'll post results tonight.

Sarge

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not fond of the logic here. You are playing against a large field out of position. I know this game is passive (that's how you justified your PF limp) but what makes you so sure you won't get raised by any K, or someone deciding to pump their draw. Are you going to lay it down for a raise? If yes, don't bet. This is not an ideal time to "bet for information". Once you meet that much resistance on the turn, I would go into call down mode for the river unimproved. No way in hell I am folding 2 pair in a Party 1/2 game with this big a pot.

ZootMurph
04-20-2004, 06:35 PM
I wouldn't completely rule out a set... but I don't see a set every time someone starts betting. Earlier today, I read 3 or 4 straight posts where someone thought there was a set. It got ridiculous.

In any case... if he did hit a set, it is more than likely 7s. I doubt it is a pair because, as the button, I would be raising with a pocket pair preflop. Additionally, odds are much more likely that it is a JT because KK would definitely have been raised preflop, so a set of Kings is basically out. Hero has 89, so it is unlikely the button has a set of 8s or 9s (not out of the question, just unlikely). That leaves 7s, which would be the most likely pocket pair.

Looking at the hand, I can also see K9 or K8 as possible, but it's hardly likely, and hard to believe it based on future betting.

So, I'm sticking with JT...

*Zoot rolls the dice* "c'mon JT! Zoot needs a new pair of shoes!"

Sarge85
04-20-2004, 09:10 PM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Sarge is UTG+2 with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. MP2 posts a blind of $1.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, Sarge calls, MP1 calls, MP2 (poster) checks, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(7 players) </font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Sarge bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, BB folds, Sarge calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Sarge raises</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls $1.50 (All-In), <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">Sarge caps</font>, MP2 folds, Button calls, SB calls.

River: (23.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players, 1 all-in) </font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Sarge calls, Button folds.

Final Pot: 25.25 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 12.25 BB, between SB, Sarge and CO.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by CO (12.25 BB).</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: 13 BB, between SB and Sarge.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by SB (13 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows 6h Td (straight, ten high).
Sarge shows 9d 8d (two pair, nines and eights).
CO shows Th Js (straight, jack high).
Outcome: SB wins 13 BB. CO wins 12.25 BB. </font>

Sarge85
04-21-2004, 11:49 AM

ZootMurph
04-21-2004, 01:52 PM
SB had to call two bets cold to an inside straight... CO had the JT for double belly buster, so was right to stay in. Too bad he didn't have more money at the table to really make SB pay for his bad play.

Sarge85
04-21-2004, 02:17 PM
I'm guessing the button folded his King?

Sarge /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

ZootMurph
04-21-2004, 02:24 PM
Either a King or a flush draw.