PDA

View Full Version : Table selection on Party

jrobb83
04-19-2004, 09:58 PM
I did a search on this and didn't get many satifactory results, but sorry in advance if I'm flogging a dead horse.

What do most of you look for when selecting a table at Party? In limit, the only quick and easy way is to look at pot size, since they dont list flop % (bastards!). But in no-limit, stack size is pretty important, and the tables with larger pot-sizes tend to be dominated by a few people with very large stacks relative to the buy-in. If you simply went to the table with the highest average pot, you would be playing against at least two or three people with 2-4 times the amount you can buy in with. What I've found myself doing is examining the tables closer, finding a balance of pot-size with stack sizes, and looking for the highest possible average pot at a table with stack sizes closer to the buy in.

What do you look for when deciding which table to play?

Am I correct in shying away from playing at a table with a few big stacks?

jdl22
04-19-2004, 10:16 PM
I think the tables with big stacks can be very profitable. The reason is that often the big stacks are maniacs or calling stations that have hit their cards and been able to double (or better) up. The best thing to do is to go to these tables sit down and watch the big stack for an orbit or two. If they seem pretty solid it may be a good time to find another table, but if they are bad players that is the best case scenario.

Also if you use Poker Tracker with the export notes feature it works much more nicely since you will be able to see who the players are that you have played with. When you see that the big stack is seeing 45% of flops then you know that you should sit down. If he's seeing 20% and raising a lot then maybe not.

Tilted Litt
04-20-2004, 03:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you look for when deciding which table to play?

Am I correct in shying away from playing at a table with a few big stacks?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm relatively new to NL, but I've begun to open 4 of the top full tables, then watch them for a few hands each (the big stacks especially) and see how many flops they see. Then I pick the one with the most action and hop in or on the waitlist.

I've found the stacks with 4x Buy-in tend to be pretty solid, but those with 2-4x you can pick out pretty quickly the lucky maniacs, those are the tables I find to be the most profitable.

Guy McSucker
04-20-2004, 06:27 AM
The most important thing is to make sure there are at least a few poor players at the table.

The easiest way to do this is as follows:

1) check you've opened the Party client and not realtoughpoker.com

2) that's it.

Guy.

nicky g
04-20-2004, 07:19 AM