PDA

View Full Version : I just found $20k in stocks - what would you do?

Ulysses
04-19-2004, 09:34 PM
So, I'm doing taxes last week and I find a 1099 from an account I had forgotten about. It used to have a lot of high-tech stocks that crashed and I didn't think it had any money left in it. But I guess not everything tech totally crashed and there was some money left in it. I haven't looked at this account in over a year (I think I opted for online statements only), so haven't followed these stocks at all. Of course, I'll look into them now, but I was wondering if any of you had an opinion on what you would do if you found yourself holding the following right now - which would you love to hold, sell immediately, etc.

AGR.B - $500
MIPS - $500
LU - $1k
SGI - $1k
CSCO - $5k
XRX - $12k

Ulysses
04-19-2004, 09:46 PM
I also found a fair amount of Dreyfus Class A Premier Core Bond Fund. I'm not really sure where this came from. I think it was probably some proceeds from stocks that I hadn't decided what to do with yet. I don't really know anything about bond funds, so any comments on this fund would be great. Realistically, I'll prob just move all of this into equities, since I actually have some knowledge there.

Ray Zee
04-19-2004, 11:35 PM
your bond fund is most likely very high expense. so you are taking a hosing there. if you can get out resonably move it to where you are most comfortable. like playing higher stakes as you are a good player. invest in yourself. or go to an index fund.
still i dont know if you own where you live but that is usually the best first thought about where to put money.
the stocks dont need to be sold especially if you are just going to roll the proceeds into another stock. unless you get to write off loses than the trade may be very smart.
boris bought his home recently and he is also using his new piece of mind that comes with home ownership to run over the poker games.
then stay away from that angelo and that sucker guy. they will get your mind all confused.