PDA

View Full Version : Reporters really SHOULDNT do poker stories

PuppetMaster
04-19-2004, 09:15 PM
Check out this goof ball who got an interview...

http://www.willistonherald.com/articles/2004/04/19/news/news1.txt

What a wonderful image of a "Rounder"

Losing all
04-19-2004, 09:29 PM
My already weak game just got a little worse after reading that story, thanks for posting it /images/graemlins/smile.gif

thirddan
04-19-2004, 09:33 PM
JT huh? Only lost with it once in his life and he is a limit player, huh? But who knows, its the just one guys story...

Losing all
04-19-2004, 09:45 PM
It's his lie, let him tell it how he wants.

jdl22
04-19-2004, 09:59 PM
I'm not clear if he means he lost when he had it or somebody else did. He says lost to it which would make it seem that means somebody else, but then why would that be his favorite hand to play.

Hmm...

MicroBob
04-19-2004, 11:35 PM
"he said that poker players who cut their teeth via computer screen, wouldn't stand a chance in a live game. "If you don't play in a live game, you don't really know what poker is all about," he said."

huh??? didn't chris moneymaker just prove him wrong.
didn't i successfully hone my game in the past year or so by being able to play 8x as many hands thus allowing me to learn faster??

i wonder how successful this guy would be even on the party 3/6 tables.

regarding the whole JT thing.
i suspect the reporter mis-read his own shorthand and accidentally changed 'lost with JT' to 'lost to JT' and probably didn't know, or notice, the difference.
i also suspect the guy might have been trying to explain his luck with JT all-in's or something like that and the reporter didn't understand....either that or this guy is just a complete idiot.
he can play his JT (hearts or not) all he likes against me, live or online....somehow he doesn't scare me.

Jimbo
04-19-2004, 11:55 PM
He gave away his true identity when he told the reporter about his 1972 Buick Riveria. Doesn't Eugeenel drive an $18,000 car? LOL /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jimbo

Your Mom
04-20-2004, 12:16 AM
sounds like a fish

Stagemusic
04-20-2004, 08:00 AM
Worst.
Writing.
Ever.

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-20-2004, 09:19 AM
Yeah, but you gotta love an article that'll get more people to think JT is a good hand.

LikesToLose
04-20-2004, 09:58 AM
I can sell you all the 1972 Buick Riveria's you'd like for $18,000 a pop! My guess is the number you'd want would be about zero. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I think this article damages the image of poker players more than anything else. I mean, who the hell wants to be this guy?

Thirty year old car and modular (read trailer park) home. Where can I gets me some of dat?

Sloats
04-20-2004, 10:31 AM
modular sometimes means pre-assembled.

But I agree, this article is not beneficial. Hey, who wants to read a nice heart-warming story about a teen who started dealing three card monty to support his crack habit?

roGER
04-20-2004, 12:59 PM
What a loathsome piece!

Hard to know if it's a lazy reporter not doing any fact checking, or being taken for a ride by a pathalogical liar living off some kind of disability allowance and pretending he plays professional poker.

Urgh! I hate media like this - sends out all the wrong messages and damages the image and credibility of us all.

- roGER

Toro
04-20-2004, 01:08 PM
Popcorn in the refrigerator??

M2d
04-20-2004, 02:40 PM
anyone draw or confirm any conclusions about people who call themselves a "rounder"? Was it just me?

risen
04-20-2004, 07:29 PM
I don't know any successful poker players who would use that term to refer to themselves.

cianosheehan
04-20-2004, 07:47 PM
I actually quite like J10, of hearts especially. Dont know why. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
Anyone notice that in the article it says he started when he was 14, and underneath the photo it says he was 15.
/images/graemlins/confused.gif

daryn
04-20-2004, 07:50 PM
isn't J /images/graemlins/heart.gifT /images/graemlins/heart.gif known as the Jack Strauss? i played with a guy in vegas who mentioned it after i took a couple pots in a row with it.

EWillers
04-20-2004, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He has come a long way since witnessing the games evolvement from the days of lowball and high-draw to the newer and glittery Las Vegas-style games of Omaha and five card stud.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know EXACTLY what he means. Every weekend I head to the Mirage and Bellagio and can't get a dang Hold'em seat cuz of all the NEW and glittery 5 card stud games bein' spread.

James282
04-20-2004, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Popcorn in the refrigerator??

[/ QUOTE ]

An interesting observation.
-James

MicroBob
04-21-2004, 05:41 AM
is the sarcasm here because he is so lame that he keeps popcorn around in case he has no money for food? or is it just that it is weird for him to keep it cold?
or perhaps a combination of the two.

TimTimSalabim
04-21-2004, 10:25 AM
Hands down, my favorite quote from the article:

[ QUOTE ]
"The key to rounding is money management. You've got to know when to call it quits so that you can have enough cash for the next nights game," he cautioned.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!

Porcupine
04-21-2004, 12:30 PM
That is funny as hell - I missed that detail.

Reminds me of a local charity hold'em tournament - one person was complaining that that Hold'em was bad choice and turnout would be better with a different poker game.

I was thinking - Yeah, they should play one of those other games that is on ESPN, Travel Channel, Fox Sports, etc. all the time - no one plays this "Texas Hold'em" game.

Zetack
04-23-2004, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I actually quite like J10, of hearts especially. Dont know why. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've made my only Royal with the J10 of hearts.

--Zetack