PDA

View Full Version : Kerry: I've got a 100% record on Israel

Gamblor
04-19-2004, 06:59 PM
By JANINE ZACHARIA
WASHINGTON

US Sen. John Kerry, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, said Monday that he has a "100 percent record of sustaining the special relationship and friendship that we have with Israel." He also pledged to end "sweetheart relationships" with Arab countries that fund terror.

Speaking at a town hall meeting in Florida, he cited a report by Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward that there was "a secret White House deal" with Saudi Arabia to boost oil production and lower gasoline prices before the November 2 presidential election.

"Last night... it was reported that in the Oval Office discussion around whether to invade Iraq that the president, the vice president, the secretary of defense made a deal with Saudi Arabia that would deliver lower gas prices," AP quoted Kerry as saying.

"But here's the catch. The American people would have to wait until the election, until November 2004."

At a separate fund-raising event, Kerry said he would continue the strong US-Israel relationship.
"I understand not just how we do that, but also how we end this sweetheart relationship with a bunch of Arab countries that still allow money to move to Hamas and Hizbullah and Al-Aksa Brigade," he said.

A spokesman later said Kerry was referring to Saudi Arabia. Kerry also criticized Saudi Arabia's support for terrorist groups during a speech last December. He has outlined an energy plan to decrease US dependence on foreign oil.

On Sunday, Kerry endorsed Israel's right to strike at Hamas leaders.

"I believe Israel has every right in the world to respond to any act of terror against it. Hamas is a terrorist, brutal organization. It has had years to make up its mind to take part in a peaceful process. They refuse to. Arafat refuses to. And I support Israel's efforts to try to separate itself and to try to be secure," he told NBC's Meet the Press.

"The moment Hamas says, "We've given up violence, we're prepared to negotiate," I am absolutely confident they will find an Israel that is thirsty to have that negotiation."