PDA

View Full Version : Clarett and WIlliams boned, out of nfl draft for now

bugstud
04-19-2004, 04:10 PM
Appeals court undoes the stay that allowed Clarett and Williams to be eligible for the draft. Anyone below the top ten has to be upset with this given Mike Williams was an elite talent in this draft and now there's one less guy to take/be taken in front of you.

The NFL will hold a supplemental draft if by some chance these guys win appeals (namely Williams). In this case I believe SD has the first shot at him, followed by going down the draft order for the first round. Essentially, the team that wants to forfeit their first round pick next year would get him, I imagine SD would choose to do so.

slavic
04-19-2004, 07:05 PM
Williams just got screwed then. He can't re-enter at the NCAA level and likely will have to waste a year. His best option may be to play in the CFL for a year because if he sits on his hiney his stock will go down.

J.R.
04-19-2004, 07:14 PM
Williams has already sued the NFL for making conflicting statements that caused him to potentially compromise his college eligibility, while at the same waiting to see what the NCAA does as it has not yet ruled on his eligibility.

Oski
04-19-2004, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Appeals court undoes the stay that allowed Clarett and Williams to be eligible for the draft. Anyone below the top ten has to be upset with this given Mike Williams was an elite talent in this draft and now there's one less guy to take/be taken in front of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you are referring to teams, not the individual players in the draft.

[ QUOTE ]
Williams just got screwed then. He can't re-enter at the NCAA level and likely will have to waste a year. His best option may be to play in the CFL for a year because if he sits on his hiney his stock will go down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would not be surprised if the NCAA allowed any of the players affected by this ruling to return.

Sincere
04-19-2004, 07:33 PM
Wow, If San Diego got Eli and Mike Williams that would be just plain sick! Talk about a Dynasty!

TimTimSalabim
04-19-2004, 11:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, If San Diego got Eli and Mike Williams that would be just plain sick! Talk about a Dynasty!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, the draft is mostly a crapshoot anyway. Remember Ryan Leaf?

Sincere
04-20-2004, 02:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nah, the draft is mostly a crapshoot anyway. Remember Ryan Leaf?

[/ QUOTE ] ]

I dont think you can use Elisha (Eli) Manning, Mike Williams and Ryan Leaf in the same sentence. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Eli= blood-line.
Williams= freak of nature
Leaf= just plain Lazy

TimTimSalabim
04-20-2004, 10:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont think you can use Elisha (Eli) Manning, Mike Williams and Ryan Leaf in the same sentence. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Only time will tell. My point is just that even the experts get it wrong. Way wrong. Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round, I believe. Joe Montana in the 3rd. Priest Holmes was not even drafted. I'll bet if you looked at the first round picks from five years ago a great percentage of them are warming the bench or playing in the CFL.

Sincere
04-20-2004, 01:47 PM
Oh I know, Im not arguing with you on that. Just saying Eli and Mike are Studs, and cant miss prospects, IMO. If I was an owner and I could get both of them in the same year, I'd loose all bladder control and piss all over myself. Plus they could be on the same team as Ladainian Tomblinson. That's just unfair.

bugstud
04-20-2004, 02:48 PM
I'd be more scared if they take Gallery #1, trade up from their second rounder to get whichever of rivers or Roeth falls and then happen to get Mikey in the supplemental. That'd just be vicious. I'm a Drew Brees fan, though. One of the few, apparently.