PDA

View Full Version : Wouldn't this be great?

3rdEye
04-19-2004, 12:56 PM
Given the (largely understandable) disdain many posters here have for Brunson's "Super System," wouldn't it be great if both Sklansky and Brunson made it to the final table at this year's WPT Championship? I for one would love to see their strategies collide.

Nottom
04-19-2004, 01:28 PM
Who here has distain for SS?

A lot of posters feel the book is good, but it is almost 30 years old and the strategies are hardly groundbreaking at this point. It involves quite a few games that are rarely played and the limit HE section is based on a structure that is no longer used. Even with these problems many (most?) here think its worth a read and I for 1 am really looking foward to SS2 when it comes out this fall.

Easy E
04-19-2004, 02:47 PM
Outdated doesn't mean bad, 3rdeye.

It will be interesting to compare strategies, old book to new book

3rdEye
04-19-2004, 06:04 PM
Maybe I'm off track, but it seems to me that I've heard quite a few posters here malign SS for being outdated and sometimes theoretically incorrect.

I haven't been here long enough, so I could be wrong.

theriverwild
04-20-2004, 12:26 AM
yeah david sklansky vs doyle brunson. That's a joke. At a limit game it's a different story but NL sklansky would need to get pretty lucky.

Sincere
04-20-2004, 02:11 AM
I think OZ could break Brunson down systematically limit or NL. JMO. I think Sklansky Vs. Ivey or Sklansky Vs. Helmuth would be much more interesting.

ThePimpulator
04-20-2004, 09:14 PM
As someone new to the game and reading a lot of Sklansky/Malmuth right now, something has been bothering me and I wasnt sure whether it was too delicate to ask. But since the thread has gone in that direction, here goes: do Sklansky and Malmuth play the big tournaments that the pros do? If not, why not? And if they do, do they hold their own? Is it wrong to expect them to be competitive at that level even though their writings are so respected?

Its just that since my first contact with the game around three months ago I have watched a lot of poker on TV and have never heard either of them mentioned, so I assume if they are in these tournaments they dont make it very far.

Is it for instance that though S and M are masters of the theoretical/statistical side, others out there, whilst coming a close second to S and M on this, are considerably ahead of them in other areas like physcology, strategy, reading the other players etc.?

Or am I simply rambling on not knowing what the hell im talking about? You decide! All genuine responses gratefully taken on board!

ThePimpulator.

astroglide
04-20-2004, 09:48 PM
neither of them are NL fans, and both could stand to lose a bit more than they could stand to gain if they get noticed entering and never noticed placing. iirc sklansky entered the wsop the year he wrote TPFAP just to illustrate his credibility, and ended up respectfully placing around the top 50.

if i had to pick somebody play completely mixed games with my life at stake (e.g. razz, then plo, then lhe, then stud/8, then triple-draw, etc) i would still probably select david sklansky. he would not be my choice for nlh.

Nottom
04-20-2004, 11:19 PM
I don't think Mason plays in any big tourneys. Sklansky is playing in the WPT championship that is currently running at Bellagio (had a respectable stack of 51K after day one) and I would expect to see him in the WSOP. He has a few bracelets for some of the lesser WSOP championships, but I think S&M may both be of the opinion that the side action during the big tourneys is where the real money is at anyway.