PDA

View Full Version : An illegal/unethical play, implications?

kiemo
04-19-2004, 10:24 AM
This did not happen, but I thought about it and was wondering what would be the implications of it.

Player A raises all-in. Everyone folds to player F, whom will be the last to act.

Player F turns over his cards before he says call/fold and before he has moved his chips in. He didnt move the cards toward the muck area, basically just flips them over in order to get a read of Player A face when he sees the cards.

What are the implications of this? Does the street where this happens matter?

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-19-2004, 12:28 PM
In most places in tournament play, his hand is dead as soon as he shows it.

sumaprop
04-19-2004, 12:42 PM
What about this...in a B&M Tournament this weekend. A player raises before the flop, everyone folds, except BB & SB. BB is thinking. The raiser turns his card over thinking everyone has already folded. The dealer allow the raiser's hand to stand. Both the BB & SB folded. Should his hand have been declared dead?

I was the BB and had AQo.

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-19-2004, 12:46 PM
depends on their rules.

LetsRock
04-19-2004, 02:26 PM
This depends entirely on the tourney rules. In a lot of cases, Kurn is right - the hand is dead. If it's not against the rules, the SB and BB are foolish to act until the player has done so. Showing his hand is not an action - it's just a ploy to get a read. IF SB and BB fold out of turn, that's their mistake, but they have a great advantage of knowing somebody's cards befoare they have to make a decision.

Usually, the practice of showing your hand before calling or folding is reserved for heads up play and the tourney specific rules may rule one way if it's heads up and another way if there are others stil to act. If it's heads up and the first player is already in, there' no decision to influence, so it's all about being able not react to it (in other words, be prepared mentally for it to happen so you can act or not accordingly).

Is it unethical? Not really, just another angle shoot. It really doens't matter what street it is.

jedi
04-19-2004, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The dealer allow the raiser's hand to stand. Both the BB & SB folded. Should his hand have been declared dead?

[/ QUOTE ]

Question: Should this be a floorman decision, or a dealer decision?

M.B.E.
04-19-2004, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In most places in tournament play, his hand is dead as soon as he shows it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you're wrong on this, Kurn. In fact, Rule 36 of the TDA Rules (http://www.pokerpages.com/articles/behindtable/tda-rules.htm) specifically provides that Player F's hand is not dead. (Also see Rule 7.)

Player F may receive either a warning or a penalty, however.

george w of poker
04-19-2004, 05:10 PM
why didn't you reraise all in?

slamdunkpro
04-19-2004, 05:43 PM
It depends on the house - at the Taj your hand is supposed to be dead - but I've seen a lot of players whine their way out.

sumaprop
04-19-2004, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why didn't you reraise all in?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mention what he had....the raiser that flipped his cards had QQ, so I would have been an underdog with AQo. I don't think I had enough of a stack to scare him out of the pot with a reraise. That's an interesting idea though...and it was still during the rebuy period if I lost.