PDA

View Full Version : Playing a monster on the turn

tech
04-19-2004, 02:01 AM
I played this hand tonight. Curious about how others would have played this turn. My play/reasoning and results later.

Party 1/2, typical table. I'm in the small blind with 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. 6 limpers to me, I complete, BB checks.

8 to the flop. Flop comes K /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I bet, all call.

8 to the turn. Turn is 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif.

What's your play?

Ruddiger
04-19-2004, 02:06 AM
bet and hope there are some kings out there

bisonbison
04-19-2004, 02:12 AM
betbetbetbetbetbetbetbetbetbet.

DoctorDrew
04-19-2004, 10:18 AM
Bet, six called before someone has a king and might even raise. Your position limits what you can do as first to act. Checking and giving a free card is unlikely to hurt you if its checked through, but if someone is apt to call a bet you want their money. If they fold now they would fold to a river bet anyway. Last time I hit 4of a kind, I had raised the flop from an EP caller with the set and he bet into me when the fourth fell. Heaven!

Nice result from a terrible starting hand.

citizenkn
04-19-2004, 10:45 AM
I check raise. Anyone with a king is going to bet here, and if you're lucky, more than one king might be out there.....

dfscott
04-19-2004, 11:20 AM
I bet. You've crippled the deck, so you'll probably get checked around if you try to check-raise. If your check-raise does work, they'll probably fold anyway to your strength. However, anyone with a king might be willing to call a single bet on the turn hoping to get another king on the river.

ZootMurph
04-19-2004, 11:27 AM
The pot is all but certainly yours. Every bet going into the pot is almost certainly yours. You want as many bets as can be stuffed into your pot.

This being said, I check the turn, and see how many bets/callers you have. Unless you only have one or two callers, smooth call the turn and check/raise the river. You have to guess that some of them will bet/call the river as well, and you want their money in the pot before you raise it. When they fold, they've already been kind enough to put their 2 BB each into your pot. If you bet, and a King raises, he scares them all out for sure. I want to get as many bets in from each caller as I can, so a check/raise will be nice on the river after some callers threw in their money. Finally, if there were no raises on the turn, any King will think he surely has at least a split, and may be happy to reraise you... if not, he was never going to put more in anyway, and you may have pulled in an extra bet or two on the smooth call.

Just my 2¢.

sfer
04-19-2004, 11:41 AM
Just bet. A king will raise about 100% of the time here, so see where the raise comes from and figure out how you can trap callers on the turn or the river.