PDA

View Full Version : 3 handed strategy

Don_Lapre
04-18-2004, 11:11 PM
Hi everyone, what is a good strategy when it gets down to three? I play the $10+1 NL Hold'em games at party and I'm good at placing in the money but it's usually 2nd or 3rd. My feeling, which seems to be off, is to play looser and more aggressive at this level as the blinds are usually so high. If I think I have the best hand I go all in, often preflop or on the flop. For the most part I do have the best hand but by no means a lock. Example, all-in pre-flop with A-10 against Q-J or something like that. Anyway I'm real good at finishing 3rd! Any advice would be great, thanks in advance.

DonLapre

William
04-18-2004, 11:22 PM
3 handed it is a good idea to be the first to bet, preferably with a good raise.

Don't get involved if somebody bets/raises before you unless you have a very good hand.

If you think you are getting involved with the best hand and still placing 3rd, you are just unlucky right now, but things will change and the results will follow. Don't give up.

Take care,
William /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jason Strasser
04-19-2004, 05:14 AM
Howdy,

I think all good SNG players go through streaks, especially on PP with the crazy blind structure, where you just end up placing third and second a lot.

When Im the low stack, I push with any ace, any pair and any 2 face cards. If you play much tighter than that (assuming you are past level 4/5), you will be doomed. If I have a nice stack, I raise 2.5x the BB with these types of hands.

Regardless of what happens, just let Oasis' "Wonderwall" play in the background, and you'll be happy.

bwana devil
04-19-2004, 09:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I push with any ace, any pair and any 2 face cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been cutting my teeth on the ring games and have just started trying out the tourneys so I don't know all the terminology. By push, do you mean raise or go all in?

william

TylerD
04-19-2004, 09:27 AM
push = push all-in

george w of poker
04-19-2004, 12:00 PM
i played some sit n go's over the weekend and here is the breakdown of my wins:

1st: 4
2nd: 4
3rd: 10

i think i might be taking the "its better to get more 1st and 3rds than 2nds" philosophy a little too far or i just got unlucky. i'm not sure i buy into that philosophy anyway. by the time its down to two the blinds are so big its pretty much a crap shoot anyways. the chip lead has a slight advantage statistically but if the guy in second doubles up once he is usually even again or in the lead himself.