PDA

View Full Version : sheep with fangs ?

stripsqueez
04-18-2004, 09:45 PM
found myself hearding some sheep recently - not a common activity for me

one sheep broke away from the main group and wandered off to the side of the path we were following and stuck its head in some long grass - "whats that one doing ?" i asked my vastly experienced sheep hearding companion - "its hiding" he explained - apparently the sheep took the view that if he couldnt see us we couldnt see him

this got me thinking about sheep

the theory of evolution sounds like a very believable concept to me - but - how did sheep survive when only beasts with a good plan for avoiding death survive ? - as sheep currently behave a pack of rats with attitude could plainly hunt down and kill a sheep - sheep have no sensible defence - they cant run all that quick, they have no weapon, they arent that big, and they have a tiny brain

i can only assume that wild sheep were once fearsome creatures with big teeth, or before we turned them into walking food bags they were excellent sprinters

can anybody do better ?

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

HDPM
04-18-2004, 10:14 PM
Go play with a bighorn on a cliff and get back to us. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Sheep are stupid, but they have been domesticated to produce sweaters and rack of lamb. Talking to people who raise them, some lambs will just give up the will to live right off. Or their mothers reject them. So there's a whole category of lambs that they call "bummers" or "bum lambs" around here that have to be raised by hand. Not a good evolutionary trait for mothers to reject their young or the young to just give up and die. Mostly I just like good rack of lamb, or grilled lamb at basque festivals.

Others around here undoubtedly know more about sheep than I do however.