PDA

View Full Version : Why Party?

GreggyB
04-18-2004, 08:02 PM
So following the general opinion of the board I put some money into party and started playing SnGs over there. I still can't understand why it seems to be the favored site.

I started on UB and find their SnG structure to be much less frustrating than Party. Perhaps because the blinds excalate on a time basis instead of a number of hands basis that the players have a better chance to "work things out on their own" without it coming down to the crap shoot on the end. On party it seems that once you're in the money, you're not really seeing flops anyway because a single round of blinds will eat up 20% of your stack... When was the last time you really had a good mano-a-mano HU shootout at Party in a SNG?

I do however like pokertracker... alot... and its a shame that UB won't set up their system to facilitate its use.

Do you feel that the competition at Party is significantly worse than UB at the 10 + 1 level and this is what makes it worth moving over?

Greg

itsmarty
04-18-2004, 08:26 PM
I believe the support you hear for Party comes from ring game players. The site I hear the best comments about from SNG players is PokerStars.

Martin

eastbay
04-18-2004, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When was the last time you really had a good mano-a-mano HU shootout at Party in a SNG?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really care about playing "real poker" or playing in "good structures" or having "mano-a-mano" matches. I care about winning and making money.

PP is where I do that best. If you play for the enjoyment of a lot of post-flop play near the end, you won't find it on PP.

eastbay

Tosh
04-18-2004, 08:49 PM
The games are still more profitable in terms of hourly rate.

Sometimes the play is so bad you get headsup with good time left. My most enjoyable SNG was headsup on level 2 (!) with equal stacks. We played nearly 70 hands headsup, but I admit a good game is rare.

At the end of the day though they are very profitable.

Sheriff Fatman
04-19-2004, 04:33 AM
There's also no problem with game availability - chances are you'll be playing within a minute of logging on. Not sure what UB is like but you do need to wait around at Stars for games to start. I'd imagine the others sites are the same.

The Party games are less satisfying in terms of chances to apply skill differences but they are quick and profitable. I've been trying out the Stars Turbo games for the first time over the weekend and this is probably as close to a perfect format as you'll get. However, you simply can't rack up the same number of games as at Party particularly if, like me, you are on UK time and miss out on the main US evening peak.

Sheriff

Jason Strasser
04-19-2004, 05:05 AM
Where else can you be profitable ($30 and below) by folding all your hands into the money? I've done it before, and with very little skill, lots of patience, you can do very well on party. Pokerstars seems to have a more competent group of players, and I've never played on UB.

Sure it is usually a crapshoot heads up, but there is definately skill involved in getting to the final two or three.