PDA

View Full Version : Playing online for a living Week 51

davidross
04-18-2004, 12:14 PM
Well I finally did it. After weeks, even months of thinking about it and procrastinating, I finally took the plunge and moved up in limits. It’s kind of strange that I’m trying to eliminate all risk from my gambling lifestyle, but that is what I have been doing. With only 2 weeks left in my first year of full time playing, I decided if nothing else it would give me something interesting to write about, and boy was I right about that.

My decision came down to playing 10/20 shorthanded or 15/30 full tables, and since I figured I would want to play fewer tables, at least at first I decided to take a shot at the 15/30 full tables. With over 500 BB’S in the bankroll, I figured I could withstand some bad luck, and some bad play. With the exception of my move from paradise 5/10 to Party 3/6(those 3/6 games were so soft that I was able to win right away there), I have struggled every time I changed games. It always takes me some time to adjust to the style of that particular game, and in my opinion every different game has a unique style. I hoped it wouldn’t take me too long to find a winning strategy for these games. I ran into 2 old friends almost right away, Rigoletto and So Be Dude seem to be regulars in these games.

Well there is a lot of adjusting to be done. First of all I decided I would play 2 games at once. That didn’t last too long. I’ve been playing 4 shorthanded tables for 6 months, and playing just 2 full tables was like watching paint dry. It took me about 15 minutes before I opened 2 more tables and played 4. With a $750 buy in, I brought $3,000 to the table just to sit down. Phew! Those are big numbers for me. Average pots are in the $150-$250 range. The biggest pot I’ve ever won was just over $300. I know I have to think about them as betting units, not dollars, but it’s going to take some time. I also have a bad habit of watching my balance during a session to see how I’m doing. Well at these limits you can win or lose a thousand in 15 minutes, easy.

I got off to a rough start. I hadn’t been playing 5 minutes when this hand came up. I open raised with Ad Qh two off the button. I got 3 bet by the cut off. The BB called and so did I. Flop is 9d 8s 6s. The BB bet out. I folded fearing a raise behind me. The CO just called. Turn was 4s. BB bet, CO called. River was an Ac. BB bet, CO raised, and BB called. CO had AJ and BB had Q4??. So I got pushed off the first hand I played. Just a few minutes later this happened. I’m in the SB with Ad 3d. There are 2 limpers then a raise in LP. I called from the SB (getting a presumed 6.5 to 1) and the BB and both limpers called too. Flop is 9d 7d 6d. How to milk the most out of this? With the PF raiser acting last I decided to bet out and hopefully trap everyone between us. I got 2 calls, but then the LP only called. Turn was Tc. I bet out again and this time got 2 calls. River was 2c. I bet and now the BB raises, and the EP calls 2 cold. I 3 bet, BB caps, and EP folds. I called and he shows 8d 5d for the flopped straight flush. Ouch. I lost $200 in the blink of an eye. This is really going to take some getting used to.

The entire Sunday night was tough. First of all I saw very little bad play. There was almost no cold calling, it was 3 bet or fold. Very few hands went to a showdown. Everyone seemed to be playing “hit the flop or fold”. The only adjustment I was able to make was to bet almost any piece of the flop from the blinds, and you had a good chance of winning a small pot….or getting raised. When the dust settled I had lost $1,531 and my wife was looking pretty concerned. Of course she’s the one that told me I should move up in limits back in February, but she’s a real “live in the moment” kind of gal. Monday afternoon was more of the same. Tough games, down over $1K again, and I was cursing everyone who told me about these “soft” games. But to be perfectly fair, I ahd a terrible run of cards. 4 flopped sets in 25 minutes that all lost big pots on the river. AA vs KK with a K on the river, and KK against AA with no save for me. I finally made some hands late in Monday’s afternoon session and finished only down a little bit. Then Monday night all the bad players showed up. At least it seemed that way. I went on a 2 day run of great cards. I won around 12% of my hands, and close to 40% when seeing the flop for over 2 days. I ended Monday ahead $1,689 for the day and Tuesday was another win of $2,313. Wednesday afternoon I won another $1,800 and looked like I was going to have a record week. I decided to make Wednesday night WSOP night, and I played qualifiers at Poker Stars and at Empire for several hours (more on that later). But I dercided to get one more hour in at 2:00 AM and went cold again. I gave back almost all of the afternoon winnings finishing the day up $224, and Thursday the bad run continued in the afternoon when I lost another $2K. Since the stakes are tripled I guess I have to relate it to a $650 loss at 5/10 which wasn’t unusual, but man it’s tough getting used to these amounts. Thursday night was a grind, making no headway all night until real late again, when I went on a $2K rush in 30 minutes. I finished the day up $3. Pretty wild considering the $4k difference in my afternoon and evening sessions. Friday was a good day again, winning $1,887. Unfortunately Saturday night didn’t go so well and I dropped another $1,121 leaving me with a $3,464 week.

Based on my experience, I can expect a $6,000 downswing at some point, and daily wins or losses of around $5K. Wow! I won a $730 pot this week, and on Saturday I lost with my nut flush to another straight flush in a $930 pot. Going to have to get used to these numbers. The tough games of Sunday and Monday changed to regular games as the week went on with a nice mix of good and bad players. I know it’s too early to tell, but although I had some wild fluctuations, I think I can beat these games for a decent rate. My pokertracker stats, although only 9,000 hands strong at 15/30 are very close to my 5/10 numbers. I voluntarily put money in 21.7% as opposed to 23% in 5/10. My SB numbers are much higher (42 to 28) because of the 2/3 blind structure. I won when seeing flop 32.9% (35.5 in 5/10) and my win rate was 1.86 (2.11 in 5/10) per 100 hands. My PFR number is way down, 9.06 compared to 11.8. I think that’s because of the bigger fields. I’m limping in with more hands (medium pairs and suited connectors) that I was folding or raising before, because I have a much greater chance of getting 4 or 5 people to play than I did shorthanded.

A couple of generalizations about these games. There is way less bluffing than in the shorthanded games. I think part of my problem Sunday and Monday, was that I was calling everyone down with hands like an unimproved AK, as I did in the 5/10 games. I could count the bluffs I caught on one hand this week. However, they were much more likely to 3 bet hands like A4s or ATo than I’m used to. And most of these guys are terrified to play shorthanded. If 2 people sit out, the table will break in 5 hands. I have used that to my advantage. I just start raising as the table gets short and almost always pick up a couple of blinds. They can’t get away from the table quick enough. The other thing I noticed, that I’ve never seen at Party/Empire before, is the solicitation going on. 3 days in a row someone came to the table asking for a $50 loan, promising to pay back 75 or 80 when their bonus came in. Also someone selling poker chips and supplies. I guess they don’t bother the low rollers with this kind of stuff.

You know I want to go to Vegas for the WSOP, and I’d love to be a better tournament player, but unless I dedicate the same time and effort to tournaments that I do to my ring games, it’s not going to happen. But I’m not giving up just yet. On Thursday my youngest daughter takes piano lessons, and I always take her. It gives me 30 minutes of reading time, and her instructor is a knockout too. This week I took Phil Hellmuth’s book with me. I have panned his sections on limit Hold’em before, I think he’s another one of those incredibly talented guys who can’t explain how they do it to less gifted people. But to give him credit, I read his sections on Limit tournaments, and no limit play, and it made a lot of sense to me. It also made me feel a little better because It wasn’t all that far off my experiences, especially the limit tournaments which the Empire qualifiers are. On Wednesday night when I was riding so high I decided to try and qualify at Empire for Saturday nights satellite. I also had discovered that I had over $300 in my pokerstars account (I had set it up to play in the zoo tournaments) and they had daily $33 with rebuy and add on tournaments. So I played that while I was in the $10 Empire tourney. As usual in the Empire tournaments, I made the first break easily with slightly more chips than I started with, but went card dead right after the break. I was out pretty quickly. The PS tournament was a lot of fun. It was No-limit and with the rebuy option until the first break was wild. I won the very first hand which left me ineligible for a rebuy right away (I didn’t know you could rebuy before even starting.) I just sat around for a couple of rounds before getting a free play with A3. The flop was 733 and I check raised an EP bettor. When I bet the turn he put me all in and turned over 77. Doh!! Rebuy. I got blinded down a little more and rebought once more, then added on $2,000 at the break. Right after the break I got my first big hand, KK in EP. 2 people called my raise and the flop was Kxx. I checked and one of them bet out. I raised over the top of him and he went all in with KT. Cha-ching, suddenly I had 12,000 chips and was in 20th place of the 300 still in the tourney (Only 2 seats though). Next big blind I had AKs and there was an EP raise and 2 cold callers. I made it $4,000 to go which was more than any of the others had. The EP guy called, and the other 2 folded. I was ecstatic to see Ac Jc when he showed. Unfortunately the flop brought 2 little clubs, and the river brought his 3rd and I was back down to less than $8,000. I never got above $10,000 again. I did get KK once more, but got no action, and no other playable hands. I played 300 hands in the tournament and only won 7 pots. Had KK twice, but no other pair over 88. AKs that once, but no other big aces. A couple of times I had suited aces, but faced a raise in front of me and folded. The blinds beat me down, and I tried to make a stand with QJs but missed completely and I was out.

Saturday night I bought into the Empire WSOP qualifier for $200. Once again they didn’t get the numbers they wanted and only 53 people played for the seat. Another overlay I was unable to take advantage of. Once again I got to the first break in average shape, but couldn’t win another hand. With 1100 in chips and limits at 50/100 I got KK in LP. I raised a limper, got cold called by the button and the BB played too. Flop was T94. I bet and all 3 called me. Turn was a 5 and the limper bet out. I tried to decide what that meant and just called him. Now the button raised. Is it 2 pair or a set? Any chance it’s AT? Once again these calls I make in ring games, just kill me in a Tournament. What’s even worse is the river brought another 5, making me good against 2 pair so I called the river bet too. He had 99 and I was almost out of chips. Thank god my Canadiens won or Saturday night would have been a total disaster.

Sometimes you worry about the wrong guy, and the wrong hand. In this hand I have Ac Qc and I raise an EP limper from MP. A poster in the co calls 15, the sb calls 20 and the BB and the EP limper both call. Flop is As 3s 2d. The EP limper comes out betting and I raise him. Poster folds, SB calls and now the BB 3 bets. EP calls 2, I call and so does the SB. I’m thinking EP has an A or a flush draw, and BB might have A3 or A2, maybe even 54. Turn is the good news, bad news Qs. BB bets, EP calls, and I chicken out and just call. SB folds. I probably would have raised if there was only one of them, but I’m not that sure I’m ahead here. River is the beautiful Qd. Now the BB bets again, and the EP raises. Wow! I 3 bet, BB folds, and EP calls. EP has 33. I really sucked out on him.

Value Bet? You never know. UTG raises, EP cold calls and MP 3 bets. I’m in the CO and I have posted with 99. I call 2 with it. BB calls 2, and UTG and EP both call 1 more. Flop is 7c 6h 6s. Checked to EP who bets. MP just calls. I Think EP has a 7. I can’t believe MP just calls with an overpair so I raise. I get BB and UTG to fold, add the other 2 call. Turn is 8s, giving me a lot more outs if I am behind. Checked to me and I bet. They both call. I’m pretty sure I’m ahead now. River is the lovely 2c. Checked to me. I’m pretty sure EP will call with a 7. I can’t believe he has waited this long with a 6. I’m more concerned with MP having TT or JJ and being afraid of the 6. But since I’m sure he won’t raise me I bet. They both call. EMP had T7s and MP had Ac Jc?? And he overcalled with it. This is 15/30. I think I’m going to like these games.

A couple of tidbits. For the first time in my poker playing life, I laid down JJ and AK before the flop. Might be routine for some of you, but for me it was new. I was in LP both times, and it was capped before it got to me. In the JJ hand, AA was indeed out there, and the AK hand I suspect it was, but a straight was made and I never saw the 4 bettors hand.

I now head into week 52. I really can’t believe a year has passed. I hope to give you a summary of my 2nd week of 15/30 and a wrap up of the numbers for the year. There is an Empire VIP free roll next Saturday that I’m eligible for, and I’ll probably play another Pokerstars rebuy with what’s left of my roll there. IN a post this week about chicks and poker someone asked if my wife would be willing to write about what it’s been like living with a poker player and she thinks that’s a good idea. I will either include it with my post or put it into a separate post. Have a good week everyone.

astroglide
04-18-2004, 02:07 PM
congrats. now, could you please stop openly discussing 2+2/strategy with your friends at the table? i've had to move because of it ruining the game.

jfresh
04-18-2004, 02:27 PM
are you davros on party?

davidross
04-18-2004, 03:42 PM
No I am davidross at Party, but haven't played there for quite a while. I play as bucephelus at Empire/Party.

davidross
04-18-2004, 04:20 PM
I don't recall talking about 2+2 other than to ask someone if they posted at 2+2? Hard to imagine how that could spoil a game. I don't usually have enough time to do anything more than say hello etc. I'm curious what you're referring to because I do try to be careful what I say.

The Dude
04-18-2004, 04:29 PM
I have never played with you, but based on your posts, I really don't think moving to 15-30 is a good move. I'm not convinced you're a winning player at that level, and if you are it will be microscopic compared to the bet size, which will make for gigantic swings - MUCH, MUCH bigger than $6k. Especially if you insist on playing 4 tables at once.

MicroBob
04-18-2004, 05:30 PM
you mention getting used to the play as well as the bet sizes.
i suspect it will be just as big an adjustment to go back to full-ring after playing 6-max for so long (3 or 4 months maybe??). your AK-unimproved example is similar to what i was doing when bouncing back and forth from 6-max to full-ring.
but i suspect that a full-week of full-ring is probably good to get back into the swing of things.

i'll say hi when we both make it to the final table of the empire WSOP free-roll next week.
hoping they get as many no-shows as they did in your previous VIP event (with slightly better position for you of course).

SinCityGuy
04-18-2004, 05:58 PM
Dude,

I respectfully disagree here. I think that David has sufficient skill to beat the Party 15/30. You are correct, the swings will be large, but that's to be expected by anyone who plays multitables. I only play two at a time, and I've already had a 150 BB downswing over the course of 70,000 hands so far.

davidross
04-18-2004, 06:37 PM
Well I hope you're wrong, but I'll never know until I try. I have found some tables where I don't seem to have an edge, but many more where I will certainly make money. I would think within 4 weeks I'll know, that would be over 50,000 hands and that should be enough to tell me whether this week was a fluke or not. To be honest, I think I had more bad sessions this week than normal, and I think I will find these games more profitable than the shorthanded 5/10 just because of the bigger stakes. I don't have to have a huge win rate to increase my overall profit, and already I can see the effect of the reduced rake percentage.

We'll certainly no more in a couple of weeks. Worst case scenario I go back to what I was doing.

Tosh
04-18-2004, 08:06 PM
Unless you really struggle David, which sounds doubtful, stick with the games.

It'd also be a good idea to spend an hour or 2 every few days and just play 1 table. Make notes on everyone and really concentrate. I'm with you that 1 tabling after playing 4+ seems dull but its very rewarding playing like this.

Barry
04-18-2004, 10:17 PM
Hi David -

It was good playing with you for a little bit last week. It sure is a long way from our Paradise 2/4 games over a year ago.

While I'm sure that you can beat the game, I too would encourage you to stick to 1 or 2 tables for a little while. You can't really just play ABC poker there, and I think that you will benefit from learning the various regulars that are around. Against some it's right to call down with AK unimproved, others it's a sure way to burn through chips.

Good luck and see you at the tables.

Barry

jfresh
04-18-2004, 11:45 PM
out of curiousity, you said you played 9,000 hands in 15/30 this week? how many hours is that?

also, can you check your poker tracker stats for daily bb/100 breakdown? for some reason my monday's are by far my worst in terms of bb/100...

nykenny
04-19-2004, 12:11 AM
David,

my biggest loss online since last nov (when i started keeping records for online games) is 60BB. i attribute this rather low swring to multi-tabling.

my biggest loss since super-tabling (6 and up) is 17BB, i attribute this reduction in swing to the even more intense super-tabling (or luck, u pick).

so what i am trying to say is a word of encouragement: the swing doesn't have to be that bad ($6000+ as u invisioned). play ur best game and the profit will come as usual.

Kenny

nykenny
04-19-2004, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
congrats. now, could you please stop openly discussing 2+2/strategy with your friends at the table? i've had to move because of it ruining the game.

[/ QUOTE ]
dave should (or need to) know better than to discuss strategy at the tables...

JustPlayingSmart
04-19-2004, 02:15 AM
David,

I'm glad you had a solid first week after changing limits. I was playing with the Party player search feature, and I looked for you, and noticed you at 4 $15/$30 tables, so I figured I'd take a peek. I could be way wrong on this, but I did notice a couple things that I think you might need to keep in mind. In one hand, there was an EMP raise, 2 coldcalls, and you called from the big blind with 34o. I don't think 7-1 is enough for 34o. In fact I'm not sure what odds I would need to play 34o against 3 opponents. In the hand, the flop was 632, and the preflop raiser (QJs) called you the on the flop and turn, and checked through the Q on the river.

There was also a hand where you had KK in the small blind. The flop was ace high and you check-called three times. You might have had a read here, but this hand (and another where I thought you overplayed TT on a Q-high flop with 2 guys calling your flop raise) seem to be a product of your shorthanded play. I would suggest you try to make a list of good adjustments you would make in full ring vs shorthanded and keep them handy while you play. If nothing else, making the list may help you think about the differences more.

Good job this week anyway. $3k+ is a great start!

davidross
04-19-2004, 03:13 AM
Its about 36 hours I think.

We had a big discussion a few months ago and most of the regulars agreed that Monday's games are the toughest of the week. We assume there are more regulars playing on Monday and fewer casual players.

davidross
04-19-2004, 03:20 AM
I'm still working through the adjustments to the full games, but I'll play almost anything getting 7 to 1.

I don't rtemember the other hands but KK can be a tough one. I will play it differently every time depending on the opponent. I ma making a lot of adjustments with the middle pairs (TT included). THey are certainly much stronger in the shorthanded games than in the full games.

davidross
04-19-2004, 03:23 AM
Hi Kenny,

During my year I've had 2 200 BB downswings, so that's the number I'm using as my starting point. Hopefully my game is improving enough that I won't ever go that far down again, but I think if I'm prepared for that possibility then i'll handle it better.

Kenrick
04-19-2004, 06:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In one hand, there was an EMP raise, 2 coldcalls, and you called from the big blind with 34o. I don't think 7-1 is enough for 34o. In fact I'm not sure what odds I would need to play 34o against 3 opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you could get enough odds to play 34o. That's a crappity-crap hand. What kind of magical flop could you expect to hit?

Usually when someone wonders if I am on here, they just say, "Zoo?" and I say something like, "Yeah, I learn a lot from petting the animals."

The Dude
04-19-2004, 07:08 AM
David,

I too hope I'm wrong. I wish you the best of luck, and I'm interested in hearing your updates, specifically your results over the next couple of weeks, but I'd like to see specific hands as well.

Best of wishes,
The Dude

thetman
04-19-2004, 07:57 AM
Congrats on the good 1st week. I look forward to hearing you win 10k in a week which is attainable at those limits and 4 tables at once.

James282
04-19-2004, 03:06 PM
Hi "The Dude," from registering probably 20-50 hours with david at the table, I can safely say that he will be a winning player at 15/30 on Party.
-James

P.S. Congrats on the move david, I'll probably see you there when I can get my freaking ISP fixed once and for all. I mostly play in the 10/20 sixmax, but I occasionally do the 15/30 when it looks ripe, and I know you have impeccable game selection /images/graemlins/wink.gif

The Dude
04-19-2004, 03:32 PM
James,

Thanks for input, that's good to hear. I'm looking forward to your updates, David. My next jump is to Party's 15-30 tables, so I am sincerely interested.

ZeeJustin
04-19-2004, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my biggest loss since super-tabling (6 and up) is 17BB, i attribute this reduction in swing to the even more intense super-tabling (or luck, u pick).

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking at the way your stats look by exclusively looking at session ends will skew your data. You need to clarify that you have had downswings worse than 17BB within a session, but simply recovered some of your losses before it was over.

ddubois
04-19-2004, 05:31 PM
I read a thread recently that worked out that offsuit-connectors are about 1:7 to flop 2 pair, OESD, or better. (You lose one degree of freedon with a straight to 34o however, because there is no 012, so it's a tiny bit less the the 98 example I read.) I think someone named Pete demonstrates the math therein but I can't find the thread now sadly.

davidross
04-19-2004, 07:54 PM
I don't want to push this one too hard and be known as the guy who plays 43 offsuit, but at 7-1 I will take a flyer sometimes. You can win a big pot, put someone on tilt, and create a great table image all for 1 small bet. I certainly don't play it routinely, in fact i think I'm pretty tight. Playing hands like this and small pairs, you rarely lose big pots, because you can get away from them easily.

SoBeDude
04-19-2004, 10:56 PM
Hi David,

Welcome to the games.

In several instances I questioned your choice of games.

I remember you mentioning to me game selection wasn't a significant concern in the 6max games, you just sat and played.

At the Party 15/30 games I think game selection is much more important.

And if a game turns bad, just get up. There's plenty more to choose from.

Also, you need to get to know your 'characters' in these games. I think taking notes on your opponents is important to long-term success.

-Scott

davidross
04-20-2004, 03:09 AM
I'm working on it. I have exported my first batch of notes for the 15/30 players. I have run into a lot of tight tables, so I keep reviewing the average pot size too. I'm not shy about leaving if it doesn't look too good. I'm probably not as quick at it as you, but I do get there eventually.

astroglide
04-20-2004, 04:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Playing hands like this and small pairs, you rarely lose big pots, because you can get away from them easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean like calling down a preflop raiser when the flop is QJ3?

davidross
04-20-2004, 08:26 AM
I was right wasn't I?

That's why I said rarely. Of course you can get trapped if you play beyond the flop, and I don't usually, but if I remember right, we were heads up in a pretty good sized pot, so I called him down.

Tosh
04-20-2004, 04:02 PM
I was bored so decided to watch you for a bit David. I saw you sitting with only about 9BBs which disturbed me. This is a mistake I'm very surprised to see you making.

SinCityGuy
04-20-2004, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was bored so decided to watch you for a bit David. I saw you sitting with only about 9BBs which disturbed me. This is a mistake I'm very surprised to see you making.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably an oversight on David's part due to multitabling. You don't ever want to go into a Party 15/30 hand without at least $360.

davidross
04-20-2004, 07:24 PM
I sit with $750, and reload if I get below $250. You must have caught me as I bottomed out, which has happened a lot this week.

Ulysses
04-20-2004, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I sit with $750, and reload if I get below $250. You must have caught me as I bottomed out, which has happened a lot this week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sit with $1500 or $2000 and you won't have to worry about this.

While not common, you'll sometimes get to cap every street. That's $60 + $60 + $120 + $120 = $360. No reason to ever be sitting with less than that much.

Tosh
04-20-2004, 07:35 PM
I guessed that was the reason but its criminal to sit with less than 12BB. Theres no real reason for it and it can cost you at times. Ok its hardly a big loss but its just so basic, and I don't think a good player should make this mistake. Just an e.g., I saw quad 8's beat kings full today and the player ran out of money on the river, missing 3 BBs assuming the other player capped.

nykenny
04-20-2004, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking at the way your stats look by exclusively looking at session ends will skew your data. You need to clarify that you have had downswings worse than 17BB within a session, but simply recovered some of your losses before it was over.

[/ QUOTE ]

correct, Zee.

the biggest swing is about 3K in one session. but only a couple of occasions, most sessions are "quiet", when super-tabling. 1000-1500 swings are more of a norm.

Kenny

El Barto
04-21-2004, 07:52 AM
I'm going to be in the DC area the next 2 weeks. Is that Wash. Post interview coming out soon?

davidross
04-21-2004, 12:10 PM
I never got the followup call from the guy. It's for wahingtonpost.com, so for all I know it's already been run.

ResidentParanoid
04-21-2004, 12:36 PM
My one concern for you at 15/30 is that there are many good players there who will takes notes on you and learn quickly on your habits and take advantage of them. Beware of them, and be sure to learn who they are, as quickly as they learn about you. Especially since you are multi-tabling, your learning curve may be too slow.

1800GAMBLER
04-21-2004, 01:41 PM
This article (http://www.pokerstove.com/unsuited.txt) may help your preflop selection.

davidross
04-21-2004, 05:50 PM
One thing I have never written about, but I think is a strength of mine is how non-consistent I am (if thats a word). I change the way I play hands all the time. Sometimes I use the suits of cards to determine how I'll play a hand, and sometimes I'll go with a feel. I don't think I'm an easy player to read, and I am very sensitive to what opponents think of my play. THis is something I pay careful attention to, because I agree with you, making mistakes here will be a big drain on the bankroll.

1800GAMBLER
04-21-2004, 09:43 PM
Hi. First of all i love the articles. A few things i'd like to say though.

1. Varying your play online is overrated, Pokertracker should show you that, as should multitabling.

1.1. Multitabling wouldn't be possible if these players paid attention. I mutlitabled NL $600/$1k games and not once did i feel i was giving up more than i gained, average players just can't adjust (In NL reads are more important). When you multitable all your plays are based on what the average player at your stakes would do, if there was a huge variance in this it wouldn't be profitable.

For example, at $10/$20 6 max too many players checkraise flop bluff, so i call down, if 50% of the players did it legit and 50% of the players did it as a bluff, i wouldn't show a/(much of a) profit. So you play against the majority, imagine it as a computer/bot. This alone shows varying your play is bullshit since they don't adjust.

Yet at the $10/$20 games more than 50% of the turn c/rs are legit but at the $15/$30 stakes almost 80% of the the turn c/rs are bullshit, hence multitabling is possible. You give up +EV in not being able to idenfity the 20% VS 80% but yet it's still more +EV to play more tables.

1.2 PT will show you how many players at the table you have actually played with before. So that shows you how many players _at most_ will be able to adjust to your play. Moreso, you will have better/accurate notes on them than they will have on you, thanks to PT.

2. I think you should spend more time studying than playing. Imagine all the hours you put in to be a NET of 4BBs/hour. You will make more from _listening_ to posters who have played these games for a lot longer than you or i have. Eventually/long term, it will pay off, you'll gain up to 3bbs/100h/table.

3. Post more hands. People here beat the games for as much as possible, people here are world class players, people here have been playing for longer, they are good and they are printing free money.

4. Stop playing crap for 7:1.

I'm sure me or other players could go on, yet this post of mine seems ignorant but it's not to be intended that way. It's meant only to be helpful. Most of your readers will hate me for this.

Best wishes, good luck, love the articles.

davidross
04-22-2004, 01:40 AM
I hope no one gives you a hard time. You make some very good points. I understand that I have a lot of room for improvement, and I believe I will get there. I have come a long way in a year, and I really think I will be able to beat these 15/30 games for more than I was beating the 5/10 games. I need to get accustomed to the games,and get some meaningful stats in Poekrtracker, then start making the corresponding adjustments. Right now AA is losing me money UTG, but I don't plan on dropping it just yet.

MicroBob
04-22-2004, 02:50 AM
"Right now AA is losing me money UTG, but I don't plan on dropping it just yet."

maybe you are mis-playing it.
i used to have this problem...you need to make sure your opponents don't hit their sets.
seriously, you need to work on this leak in your game.

ResidentParanoid
04-22-2004, 09:37 AM
There are many beatable players at 15/30, the last time I checked. There are also many good players. The effect of multi-tabling (up to 4) at that level is that you may be playing ABC against very good players who are single tabling and focusing, and they will exploit that. I'll assume that you won't be taking money from a solid player who is single-tabling it while you multi-table it. So your losses to these folks must not exceed your winnings from the loosie-wackos. Just a thought...

nykenny
04-22-2004, 10:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"Right now AA is losing me money UTG, but I don't plan on dropping it just yet."

maybe you are mis-playing it.
i used to have this problem...you need to make sure your opponents don't hit their sets.
seriously, you need to work on this leak in your game.

[/ QUOTE ]

my biggest leak in hold'em is losing sessions. i am trying to plug this hole, by completely eliminating losing sessions...

does anyone else out there have the same leak?

DeezNuts
04-22-2004, 10:26 AM
You should really examine your play, maybe you aren't the winning player you thought you were and was just getting lucky .

Your ailment is a common one. I would say about 80% of online players suffer from it. Reread HPFAP 42 more times and say 18 "Hail Masons".

mackthefork
04-22-2004, 10:52 AM
I don't have anything like the roll to play 15/30 but I have amongst others an account at Pacific Poker, 15/30 is their highest limit. They have the odd table where average % flops seen is between 15-25% but most tables vary from 40-60% flops seen, I don't know why but it looks to me much easier than either 5-10 or 10-20. Is this phenomenon normal.

Regards ML

Tosh
04-22-2004, 11:22 AM
AA losing from any position suggests that is being misplayed or sample size is too small.

Tosh
04-22-2004, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

my biggest leak in hold'em is losing sessions. i am trying to plug this hole, by completely eliminating losing sessions...

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious man ?

Gamblor
04-22-2004, 11:59 AM

davidross
04-22-2004, 12:59 PM
Unlike most Montreal fans, I don't hate the Leafs, but they are still my 2nd favortie team.

davidross
04-22-2004, 01:02 PM
I don't know for sure, but I don't think it's unusual. I think a lot of wealthy, but unskilled players want to play the highest limits available to them. The blind structure (2/3) leads to more people seeing the flop too compared to 10/20 (1/2) and 5/10 (2/5).

davidross
04-22-2004, 01:03 PM
For now I will assume it's the latter. If I'm misplaying AA I'm in the wrong game.

mackthefork
04-22-2004, 01:18 PM
Good point

nykenny
04-22-2004, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious man ?

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, don't discourage me... i am on my 17th win right now /images/graemlins/wink.gif

1800GAMBLER
04-22-2004, 02:05 PM
Pacific Poker's 15/30 is softer than Party's 15/30. It's a lot more passive yet still loose, it would be a nice variance there. The problem is you can only play 1 table there and it's slow. I've added as my 5th table though, with 4 Party tables.

Tosh
04-22-2004, 03:14 PM
I would tend to agree and expect itself to even out in the next few weeks.

unome
04-22-2004, 04:24 PM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif For you David.

davidross
04-22-2004, 06:21 PM
I wondered when I'd hear from you. You know your the only regular from the paradise 5/10 games I haven't run into at the Party 15/30 now.

unome
04-23-2004, 02:46 PM
I'd like to be joining you at the 15/30 Party game, but after 2+ years of winning I have hit my worst losing streak since I started playing seriously online. /images/graemlins/blush.gif The bankroll isn't in any trouble, but I do need to gain my confidence back and start winning before I can consider moving up.

rigoletto
04-24-2004, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure this must be a misunderstanding. I've played a lot with david over the last year and i have NEVER seen him discuss strategy at the table.

SoBeDude
04-24-2004, 06:30 PM
Your ailment is a common one. I would say about 80% of online players suffer from it. Reread HPFAP 42 more times and say 18 "Hail Masons".

How does it go?

"Hail Mason, full of chips, the poker gods are with thee"?

Canada Kelly
04-26-2004, 02:54 PM
I wish that I could agree with ya David.

I like the Habs to death, but with there turnovers, it will be tough to beat the BAY