PDA

View Full Version : How do you defend something like this?

sublime
04-17-2004, 06:59 PM
Judging from the check thru on the turn, I have reason to bet the river right?

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 (poster) checks, CO calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (8 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(8 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, CO checks.

River: (6.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds, CO folds.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 9.50 BB, between Hero, BB and UTG+1.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by UTG+1 (9.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows 8c As (one pair, eights).
UTG+1 shows 9c Jh (straight, queen high).
Hero shows Ks Qc (one pair, queens).
Outcome: UTG+1 wins 9.50 BB. </font>

Peter Harris
04-17-2004, 07:26 PM
looks fine to me. after the turn check and the river blank, i'd fire off another shot. Looks like a weak player make a weak move. Better luck next time.

Pete Harris

sublime
04-17-2004, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Better luck next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LOL, the theme of my session /images/graemlins/smile.gif

thirddan
04-17-2004, 07:49 PM
i think i check/fold the river...
with a 3flush and 4straight on the board against five players i doubt my pair is good...if you bet the river and are called i dont think you will win and if you bet the river and are raised you don't win...i dont think many worse hands will call on the river with that board...

MicroBob
04-17-2004, 10:26 PM
admittedly this is a bit confusing to me too.

nobody bet the turn so it appears possible that the straight anf flush draws missed everyone.
a total blank falls on the river so maybe your top-pair is good on a board where top-pair should have no chance at all.

with it checked through on the turn like that i think i would hit the gas again and bet the river.

i think it is entirely possible you may get a better hand to fold as a 2-pair or even trips might be unwilling to call with the knowledge that any J makes a straight.

additionally, the results showed that it is entirely possible to get a worse hand to call as the BB guy so expertly demonstrated.

since, in my estimation, it is possible to get a better hand to fold....and amazingly it is possible to invoke a call out of a worse hand....i think a bet on the river is worth a shot.

i still have much to learn and my opinions on anything poker are far from expert.

StellarWind
04-18-2004, 09:46 AM
You do what you did and then you shrug. Next hand.

sublime
04-18-2004, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You do what you did and then you shrug. Next hand

[/ QUOTE ]

So my river bet is up for debate here......I can see both sides of the fence, I just dont think I can fold this hand to somebody else's river bet. I will check/call if this situation comes up again

spamuell
04-18-2004, 11:15 AM
How would you have played the flop and turn in this hand if you held K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif?

bernie
04-18-2004, 01:32 PM
Why would you not bet the river? Take a good look, you were called by a worse hand even though you lost to a better hand. No one bet the turn when the str8 comes, bet the river.

b

btw...I'd have bet the turn also.

PraetorianAZ
04-18-2004, 08:36 PM
PF: Raise

Flop: Check raise to clear the field and charge everyone for your great draw.

Turn: Bet

River: Bet or check/call depending on how things look at that point.