PDA

View Full Version : Brett and Butter

04-01-2002, 07:59 PM
Love this exchange from RGP, involving our very own 3-Bet Brett. The game is 300-600 stud 8-or-better.

Daniel N. posted:

Player A limped in with a 3d, and player B raised with a Js. Player C re-raised with a 10s and I was the bring in with the 2c showing. I looked down at the 6c-7c (a monster hand in Stud 8 or better, especially in this situation. The hand plays great multi-way, so I decided to let the 3d into the pot, as well as disguise my hand some by just calling. The 3d folded anyway, so three

of us too 4th street. Player B caught the 6h and player C caught the Ac (my gin card). Anyway, I caught the 7s to make a pair of 7-7.

Player B (x-x) Js 6h

Player C (x-x) 10s Ac

Me (6c-7c) 2c 7s

Player C now bet out- my question: what is the best play, and why?

Brett replied:

When in doubt, raise. But raising really makes sense here. The J can't like his hand very much, and just needs a little push to let go. That leaves you heads up with C who most likely has KK or QQ in the hole, but who could have AA or AT. If he has either of the two latter hands, you need to make low to take half, or a flush or full house to win. But otherwise, you could make trips or two pair, maybe a low also, and scoop. If you let the J stay in, you are most likely

drawing for half only.

A third poster responded to Brett:

100% correct, with the right reasons to explain why.

And then my favorite, Brett's response to the third poster:

I know.

Brett

04-03-2002, 05:16 AM
It's better to be wrong than to be in doubt.

04-03-2002, 01:32 PM
It depends.