PDA

View Full Version : Always Push Prelop Here?

Utah
04-16-2004, 06:38 PM
Heads up - Blinds are 600/300 with $50 Ante

Me - about 4000
Him - About 9,000

I am on the button and make a steal play with 10,8 suited and raise to 1800.

He reraises and puts me in. I am pot committed and call.

I think a much better play was to push preflop. Correct?

Any other way of playing it?

btw - he had A,6off and I ended up winning the hand.

David BB
04-17-2004, 10:22 AM
Since your raise is almost 50% of your stack you might as well move in. So thats a yes.

Tosh
04-17-2004, 11:41 AM
You could limp in.

Cptkernow
04-17-2004, 02:34 PM
Id fold after he pushed me all in as I still have some stack left I dont want to get all in as a dog here, and with T8s I would strongly suspect that is what I was. Also if you pushed all in hes probably going to call anyway with A9, so results would be the same.

I could only realy give an opinion on the best play had I been sat in the game and had some idea of how the other player handled the HE situation.

Whether you want to allways push all in preflop with T8s is not something I would want to commit to as it is a tad inflexible.

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-17-2004, 04:25 PM
With 6.5x BB, if you're going to play, bet all your chips.

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-17-2004, 04:28 PM
Whether you want to allways push all in preflop with T8s is not something I would want to commit to as it is a tad inflexible.

Then the only viable option is to fold preflop. With a stack that only amounts to 6.5x the BB *and* there are antes, you are solidly in all-in or fold territory. The only possible exception would be completing in the SB after more than one limper.

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-17-2004, 04:34 PM
This is horrible advice. The flop will miss you most of the time. Limping gives you zero chance to win the pot right here (and the blinds + antes amount to more than a 20% increase in your stack). By limping here you are throwing away 15% of your already depleted stack probably 80% of the time.

This short-stacked, you're out of options. You'll need to steal once this orbit. Whether it's this hand or the next is up to you. Usually, you'll win the blinds, and often when called, you'll be less than a 3-2 dog.

Limp first in on the button with any stack size, and good players will eat you for lunch.

La Brujita
04-17-2004, 05:09 PM
Kurn its heads up. I don't think limping is a bad play if you don't always get played back at.

Tosh
04-17-2004, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is horrible advice. The flop will miss you most of the time. Limping gives you zero chance to win the pot right here (and the blinds + antes amount to more than a 20% increase in your stack). By limping here you are throwing away 15% of your already depleted stack probably 80% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Headsup he needs to put in another 300 to complete. Approximately 7.5% not 15%.

[ QUOTE ]

Limp first in on the button with any stack size, and good players will eat you for lunch.

[/ QUOTE ]

You saying you would never limp on the button under any circumstances ?

Limping is a viable option here with a hand like this. You're not quite completely desperate yet and have enough to make this play if you're not comfortable pushing with it.

I would push as often as I'd limp though, and it would depend on my read on my opponent. Hero doesn't mention a read and I didn't say anything like 'You should limp here'. I merely said 'You could limp in'; I think you have jumped in too quick.

Utah
04-18-2004, 12:04 AM
I rarely limp in SNGs heads up, unless I am trying to get the BB to raise.

Most players heads up in SNGs at the $50 and below level are WAY too timid in their play. I love opponents that limp in a lot from the button.

In this situation, I was stealing a ton from my opponent and a raise was clearly correct. He only had a chip lead because of a big pot.

Thanks for the advice.

Tosh
04-18-2004, 09:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I rarely limp in SNGs heads up, unless I am trying to get the BB to raise.

Most players heads up in SNGs at the $50 and below level are WAY too timid in their play. I love opponents that limp in a lot from the button.

In this situation, I was stealing a ton from my opponent and a raise was clearly correct. He only had a chip lead because of a big pot.

Thanks for the advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will rarely limp headsup but its often right to in some situations and against certain opponents.

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-18-2004, 10:10 AM
I missed the fact that it was heads-up. Completing is a reasonable option.

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-18-2004, 10:12 AM
Yeah, well, that's my strategy for replying to posts here - read the whole post *except* the first two words. Duh. You're right of course.