PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION ON POT EQUITY

Chris Daddy Cool
04-16-2004, 02:24 PM
Quick question (maybe not a quick answer)

What do people mean when they talk about pot equity?
And how does this affect the way you think, play, etc. etc.

bisonbison
04-16-2004, 02:29 PM
Pot equity is basically the percentage of times you expect to win.

If there are three people on the flop, and my hand will win 50% of the time, then in the long run I will make $.50 on every $1 that goes into the pot. My equity is 50% of all past and future bets.

That's why you can value bet flush and OESD into 3 or more callers: because you'll likely win the 33% of the time you make your hand, you make a small but significant profit on every additional bet that goes in the pot.

TheRake
04-16-2004, 02:37 PM
CDC,

Take this example...

In a 3 handed pot one player holds AA, another holds KK and a third holds 56s....From twodimes the win percentages are as follows.

AA 60.90%
KK 17.73%
65s 21.08%

This means that AA has 60.90% (KK=17.73%, and 65s = 21.08%)equity in the pot. hence over the long run you can expect to win 60.9cents for every $1 that goes into the pot.

TheRake

Chris Daddy Cool
04-16-2004, 02:59 PM
Ok, to make sure I got this right.
I have a 50% pot equity against 3 players. If they put in 3 bets, I can expect to win 1.5 bets while only putting in 1 bet myself, so of course I'll raise in this situation for value because I'll be winning that extra .5 bets.

How about this example? I'm in the BB with pocket 4's. And there's 8 limpers. Since I have correct equity to make a set, I can raise (assuming a set of 4's will win). But if there's only 6 or 7 limpers, this would be incorrect.

I always make these value bets thinking in terms of odds and value, but that's basically what pot equity is, right?

UTGunner
04-16-2004, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, to make sure I got this right.
I have a 50% pot equity against 3 players. If they put in 3 bets, I can expect to win 1.5 bets while only putting in 1 bet myself, so of course I'll raise in this situation for value because I'll be winning that extra .5 bets.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't forget to count your own bet. 4 bets are going in (yours and 3 others). Your pot equity is 50% of 4 bets. So you are ahead by 1 bet (over the cost of your 1 bet invested).

scrub
04-16-2004, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If there are three people on the flop, and my hand will win 50% of the time, then in the long run I will make $.50 on every $1 that goes into the pot. My equity is 50% of all past and future bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Your pot equity changes from street to street. Your equity is 50% of all the bets that go into the pot on this street.

Your equity on future bets will depend on how the cards on future streets change your probability of winning.

scrub

balkii
04-16-2004, 10:14 PM
I think you can raise the 4s with only 6 or 7 limpers. Remember if there are 6 or 7 limpers at least 3 of them are holding trash, that has little to no pot equity. Thus increasing the value of your pocket pairs.

Plus there's implied odds. I raised a bunch of limpers from the Sb with 77, flopped a set and got tons of action because it looked like i had an overpair not a set.

harboral
04-16-2004, 11:12 PM
Really quite simple: Everybody that chips in gets a fair share of the weed. If you owe somebody, that has to come out of your split, not from the original buy, then everybody can get high. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif