PDA

View Full Version : AK vs A5 anomaly?

fardels
04-16-2004, 02:04 PM
Hello,

I just got busted out of a tournament when all in with As Kd against Ac 5h (flop gave my opponent a heart flush). To console myself I went to twodimes and put the cards through, and found I was slightly less of a favourite than I'd thought. In fact, it seems of all the Ax (non-suited) hands my opponent could have had, A5 was the best for her. Slightly more likely to win against AK than AQ, AJ, AT... or A4, A6... would be. Can anyone explain why this is? I just can't seem to figure out why 5 is the magic number?

Many thanks in advance,

Fardels

StogeyMike
04-16-2004, 02:15 PM
With A-5 you only need 3 cards to make a strait. A-x with anything else lower than x=T needs 4. This added equity makes it more of a favorite here. Obviously, x=5 is better than x=4, 3, or 2 because it is an overcard to those 3.

fardels
04-17-2004, 05:28 AM
That makes perfect sense, and borders on the obvious now that you've explained it. But the plain fact is I didn't know that before, and I do now -

many thanks for taking the time to reply

best wishes,

Fardels

Gonzoman
04-17-2004, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Obviously, x=5 is better than x=4, 3, or 2 because it is an overcard to those 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that the 5 being an overcard to 4, 3, and 2 is really the reason it is more likely to beat AK than A4, A3, or A2. It is probably that A5 can make more straights than A2, A3, and A4. The 5 can be part of any straight from a 5 high to a 9 high, while a 4 can only be part of the 5 high to the 8 high straights.

StogeyMike
04-19-2004, 10:41 AM
That's a good point - actually I think 5's and 10's each can make the most amount of straights.

My reply on the 5 being an overcard to 4,3,2 was more to the point that if the board completely misses the hand or just the (common) Ace hits, then A5 naturally beats A4, A3 and A2.

I would concur that it is the increased chances of hitting a straight with A5, whether it be needing only 3 cards instead of 4 to make it or the fact that 5's make the maximum number of straights, that makes this hand a winner more often.

Bozeman
04-19-2004, 12:37 PM
You weren't wrong, just incomplete, since A5 will win on 544tt or similar, while A4 will lose on 455tt etc. There aren't a lot of these boards, but even if A5 and A4 made the same # of str8's, A5 would still do better against AK.

Craig

mostsmooth
04-19-2004, 07:34 PM
i think you guys are getting off track comparing a5 vs a4 and such. the topic is why a5 does better against ak than any other ax hands.

mostsmooth
04-19-2004, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You weren't wrong, just incomplete, since A5 will win on 544tt or similar, while A4 will lose on 455tt etc. There aren't a lot of these boards, but even if A5 and A4 made the same # of str8's, A5 would still do better against AK.

Craig

[/ QUOTE ]
if they made the same number of straights, how could you say A5 would do better than A4 vs AK? the straights are the reason A5 is better than A6,A7,A8 no? so if the straights were equal, why would A5 be better than A4? or A6 for that matter? if straights were equal, wouldnt all Ax hands do equally as well against AK?

Nottom
04-19-2004, 11:41 PM
Did you even read the section of text you quoted?

BugsBunny
04-20-2004, 12:43 AM
Actually I think he did. And I think he's right. If straights didn't count then any Ax hand is equally likely to beat AK. In simple terms you have to hit your kicker while AK doesn't hit the K. Now you may hit it via a pair(or better) or a flush, but if you hit you win (assuming the K misses, A's balance out for flushes).

The only thing that differentiates the different Ax hands from each other, when comparing them to AK, is the straight possibilities. A5 will make more winning straights then any other Ax combination, which is why it has the edge. AT is in trouble because the K it needs for some straights is unavailable thus reducing the possible number of straights.

So here's a problem - you know that your opponent has AKo. You can choose any 2 unpaired, unsuited, cards to oppose it. What cards do you choose?

Nottom
04-20-2004, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually I think he did. And I think he's right. If straights didn't count then any Ax hand is equally likely to beat AK. In simple terms you have to hit your kicker while AK doesn't hit the K. Now you may hit it via a pair(or better) or a flush, but if you hit you win (assuming the K misses, A's balance out for flushes).

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you missed it as well becasue Bozeman gave a perfectly good example of when the kicker makes a difference.

Anytime the board is xyyzz where Y and Z are non-K cards above your kicker and X is the kicker for Ax, AK will escape with a draw. When the board is Axyyz with Y > X, AK will escape with a win. There aren't a lot of these boards but there are more of them as your kicker gets lower. This does add to AKs win rate.

You see the same result with pocket pairs. 55 will lose more hands to AK than 99 simply because it gets counterfeited by the board more often.

[ QUOTE ]
So here's a problem - you know that your opponent has AKo. You can choose any 2 unpaired, unsuited, cards to oppose it. What cards do you choose?

[/ QUOTE ]

Another AKo of course, with the A of his K suit and the K of one of the 2 remaining suits.

Gonzoman
04-20-2004, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

However, as Bozeman has correctly pointed out, it is possible to hit your kicker and still not win, like when you have A4 and the board is TT455. And the lower your kicker, the (slightly) more likely this is to occur.

edit: nottom beat me to it.

BugsBunny
04-20-2004, 03:19 AM
That's what happens when I post late and don't really pay attention. Obvious really. I looked right at Bozemans example and it blew right past me.

Should have gone to sleep hours ago. Instead I go a drop a bunch of BB to some guy that can't miss every time he's up against me. And I, like an idiot, turn into a little calling station thinking "not again". I should (and do) know better.

As for the question allow me to rephrase /images/graemlins/smile.gif Any non-suited, non-paired cards other than AK (you can have an A or a K if you choose, but not both). That should cover it, I think. Not really that hard if you think about it.

And now I really have to get some sleep.

mostsmooth
04-20-2004, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Obviously you missed it as well becasue Bozeman gave a perfectly good example of when the kicker makes a difference.

[/ QUOTE ]
maybe im confused, so please give me an example of when AK can be outkicked by any Ax hand headsup when x doesnt show up on board.

BugsBunny
04-20-2004, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
maybe im confused, so please give me an example of when AK can be outkicked by any Ax hand headsup when x doesnt show up on board.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're confused. Nobodys saying that Ax will outkick AK. Just the opposite. AK will beat Ax, even if Ax hits x at times. The lower x is the slightly more likely this is to happen.

Assume you have AQ. AK will still win on a board of AKKQ. Now if you have AJ AK will win on a board of AKKJ and AQQJ. For AT the boards become AKKT, AQQT, and AJJT. And so forth. The lower x is the (slightly) more boards possible where you hit x but still lose. Which is why (getting back to the original) A5 is slightly better than A4 - even if you ignore straights.

(Sleep is a wonderful thing)

mostsmooth
04-20-2004, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're confused. Nobodys saying that Ax will outkick AK. Just the opposite. AK will beat Ax, even if Ax hits x at times. The lower x is the slightly more likely this is to happen.

Assume you have AQ. AK will still win on a board of AKKQ. Now if you have AJ AK will win on a board of AKKJ and AQQJ. For AT the boards become AKKT, AQQT, and AJJT. And so forth. The lower x is the (slightly) more boards possible where you hit x but still lose. Which is why (getting back to the original) A5 is slightly better than A4 - even if you ignore straights.

[/ QUOTE ]
obviously there are situations where AK can lose to other Ax hands. my point is that if ignoring straights, A5 and A4 do equally well against AK, as do all other Ax hands. if ignoring straights, A2 has just as much chance of beating AK as AQ does. if im wrong, let me know why.
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nottom
04-20-2004, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
obviously there are situations where AK can lose to other Ax hands. my point is that if ignoring straights, A5 and A4 do equally well against AK, as do all other Ax hands. if ignoring straights, A2 has just as much chance of beating AK as AQ does. if im wrong, let me know why.

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been at least 4 posts in this thread that explain why a higher kicker is important. The lower your kicker the more likely it is that you will hit your kicker and have it be counterfeited by the board.

If the board is AJTT8 for example, AK will beat A8 but will lose to AJ.

mostsmooth
04-20-2004, 02:55 PM
so maybe i am confused, who knows /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Army Eye
04-20-2004, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow... heh.. why don't you read the paragraph that YOU quoted, the one starting with "assume you have... " and tell us which part you don't understand?

Gonzoman
04-20-2004, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow... heh.. why don't you read the paragraph that YOU quoted, the one starting with "assume you have... " and tell us which part you don't understand?

[/ QUOTE ]

This takes us back to the original question: Who's on first?

mostsmooth
04-20-2004, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i cant find any paragraph that starts with "assume you have.."

Bozeman
04-22-2004, 12:13 AM
"i cant find any paragraph that starts with "assume you have.." "

"Assume you have AQ. AK will still win on a board of AKKQ. Now if you have AJ AK will win on a board of AKKJ and AQQJ. For AT the boards become AKKT, AQQT, and AJJT. And so forth. The lower x is the (slightly) more boards possible where you hit x but still lose. Which is why (getting back to the original) A5 is slightly better than A4 - even if you ignore straights."

I suppose I started this by giving an example where AK and Ax tie when I meant to give a win, but fortunately the good people here have corrected my mistake (without placing blame, too /images/graemlins/smile.gif ),
Craig

mostsmooth
04-22-2004, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"i cant find any paragraph that starts with "assume you have.." "

"Assume you have AQ. AK will still win on a board of AKKQ. Now if you have AJ AK will win on a board of AKKJ and AQQJ. For AT the boards become AKKT, AQQT, and AJJT. And so forth. The lower x is the (slightly) more boards possible where you hit x but still lose. Which is why (getting back to the original) A5 is slightly better than A4 - even if you ignore straights."

I suppose I started this by giving an example where AK and Ax tie when I meant to give a win, but fortunately the good people here have corrected my mistake (without placing blame, too /images/graemlins/smile.gif ),
Craig

[/ QUOTE ]
i didnt quote that one

GuitarMarc
04-22-2004, 01:58 PM
There has to be something wrong with your stated post. You list your opponent as having Ac 5h then say he flopped a heart flush. Did you mean he flopped a flush draw? Did he really have Ah 5h? Or did he get his flush on the turn or the river?

I think this would change the discussion here if his cards were suited.

Bozeman
04-22-2004, 07:11 PM
Here is your post:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

mostsmooth
04-23-2004, 09:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Here is your post:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]
i didnt quote the "assume you have.." paragraph

Bozeman
04-23-2004, 12:43 PM
Continue to deny the indisputable facts if you wish:

#641461 - 04/20/04 10:31 AM by mostsmooth

mostsmooth
04-23-2004, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i didnt deny any facts

pzhon
04-23-2004, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i didnt deny any facts

[/ QUOTE ]

You denied quoting something that you did quote, among other things. You quoted an explanation for why A5 does better against A4 even with no straights possible. Maybe you didn't recognize it as a separate paragraph.

Here is data from twodimes with all 6s and 3s removed from the deck, and 4 different suits:

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=282332
pokenum -h as kh - ad 5c / 3s 3h 3d 3c 6s 6h 6d 6c
Holdem Hi: 658008 enumerated boards
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
A/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 464394 70.58 156119 23.73 37495 5.70 0.734
A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/club.gif 156119 23.73 464394 70.58 37495 5.70 0.266

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=282333
pokenum -h as kh - ad 4c / 3s 3h 3d 3c 6s 6h 6d 6c
A/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 465381 70.73 154384 23.46 38243 5.81 0.736
A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/club.gif 154384 23.46 465381 70.73 38243 5.81 0.264

The difference comes from counterfeited pairs. This is counterintuitive to many people, as you can see in showdowns when people have bet hard with TPnK rather than the two-pair they had on the flop (after tbe board pairs above their bottom pair). There is no shame in getting this wrong at first. However, you should take the time to figure out why you are wrong, and admit it.

mostsmooth
04-23-2004, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i didnt deny any facts

[/ QUOTE ]

You denied quoting something that you did quote, among other things. You quoted an explanation for why A5 does better against A4 even with no straights possible. Maybe you didn't recognize it as a separate paragraph.

Here is data from twodimes with all 6s and 3s removed from the deck, and 4 different suits:

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=282332
pokenum -h as kh - ad 5c / 3s 3h 3d 3c 6s 6h 6d 6c
A/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 464394 70.58 156119 23.73 37495 5.70 0.734
A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/club.gif 156119 23.73 464394 70.58 37495 5.70 0.266

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=282333
pokenum -h as kh - ad 4c / 3s 3h 3d 3c 6s 6h 6d 6c
A/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 465381 70.73 154384 23.46 38243 5.81 0.736
A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/club.gif 154384 23.46 465381 70.73 38243 5.81 0.264

The difference comes from counterfeited pairs. This is counterintuitive to many people, as you can see in showdowns when people have bet hard with TPnK rather than the two-pair they had on the flop (after tbe board pairs above their bottom pair). There is no shame in getting this wrong at first. However, you should take the time to figure out why you are wrong, and admit it.

[/ QUOTE ]
i admit nothing!

GuitarMarc
04-24-2004, 01:51 PM
Does it bother anyone that the opponent could not have had a flush on the flop based on the information given by the post?

arfsananto
04-26-2004, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I choose another AKo.

Nottom
04-26-2004, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I choose another AKo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried that, he wouldn't let me.

arfsananto
04-26-2004, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

I choose another AKo.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case, I choose 7-2o. Go out in a blaze of crapulence.

Hey, I figured out how to use quotes! woo-hoo!

ZootMurph
04-27-2004, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

Quote:

I choose another AKo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it really matter? Any Ace or King will be dominated, and any other cards have the exact same chance of hitting without the Ace or King hitting.

The only thing you need to consider is the straight possibility. Two consecutive cards that don't reach AK offer the most chances, I'd think. I'd go with 67.

mostsmooth
04-27-2004, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

Quote:

I choose another AKo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it really matter? Any Ace or King will be dominated, and any other cards have the exact same chance of hitting without the Ace or King hitting.

The only thing you need to consider is the straight possibility. Two consecutive cards that don't reach AK offer the most chances, I'd think. I'd go with 67.

[/ QUOTE ]
believe it or not, me being so stupid and all, these are the two i thought of as well after thinking it over. i figure a 6 was a wise choice to defeat the ace's 2345 board. and then its a matter of taking a 5 or 7, and from previous posts we dont need to go over again, i chose the 7

LondonBroil
05-01-2004, 01:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

Quote:

I choose another AKo.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
believe it or not, me being so stupid and all, these are the two i thought of as well after thinking it over. i figure a 6 was a wise choice to defeat the ace's 2345 board. and then its a matter of taking a 5 or 7, and from previous posts we dont need to go over again, i chose the 7

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really have anything to add to this, I just wanted to have lots of quotes.

LondonBroil
05-01-2004, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

Quote:

I choose another AKo.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really have anything to add to this, I just wanted to have lots of quotes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooooooooo, even more!

LondonBroil
05-01-2004, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

Quote:

I choose another AKo.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooooooooo, even more!

[/ QUOTE ]

Now it's getting out of hand. I'm gonna stop now.

3rdEye
05-02-2004, 08:11 PM
A5 is the highest Ace-high combination that has two cards that can make part of a straight, excluding AT-AK...but AT, AJ, and AQ all require a K in order to make a straight under the same conditions. Thus AT-AQ are all inferior to AK because in the event of a straight the best they can do is chop, whereas A5 wins if it makes its straight against AK. A6-A9 are inferior to A5 because there is no straight possibility.

3rdEye
05-02-2004, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I imagine it has to be QJo.

3rdEye
05-02-2004, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I choose another AKo.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, very true. I hadn't thought of that.

3rdEye
05-02-2004, 08:18 PM
It actually turns out that 67o and QTo are both marginally better than QJo, so my instincts were wrong here.