PDA

View Full Version : Too soon?

wallopp
04-16-2004, 12:24 PM
It's only the seconed hand in a pacific 30+3 pot limit SNG and
and I am BB with A /images/graemlins/club.gifA /images/graemlins/heart.gif with $980. All fold to button who makes it $40 to go, SB completes and I raise it to $140. Button re-raises to $340, SB folds, and I re-raise $720 and button calls. The button at this point only has $50 left (me $120)and I'm wondering why he only called. Flop comes 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I put the rest of my chips in and he calls. results in next post.

Now, in all honesty, I shouldn't have benn playing this tourney only because it's above my level and I'm not adjusted to a pl game. I've only started playing with real money and I've been doing well in the limit 1/2 ring games and the $5 & $10 limit sng's. Did I push to early?

sublime
04-16-2004, 12:28 PM
I never played PL, but you have the BEST hand possible. Its never to ealry to put it all out there with AA. Raise the max.

Make him pay /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ohh yeah the results dont matter, you did the right thing.

wallopp
04-16-2004, 12:34 PM
Board: 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
Hero has one pair, aces
Button shows pp 5's for a set.

I had put the button AK, KK, and maybe even QQ so, needless to say that I was floored when he showed the set.
I don't think I would ever lay this down but should I have slowed down earlier?

steeser
04-16-2004, 12:56 PM
Why slow play it? If you did slow play it, would it have ended differently??

I highly doubt you could fold aces on that board.

wallopp
04-16-2004, 01:59 PM
I guess my question is was it to early in the tourney to move all-in. I know there's no way I would have ever thrown away with this hand and judging how aggressive the villain was it would have ended the same anyways. I guess I'm just smarting from losing the tourney so early on a bad beat.

incedentaly, the villain on the very next hand pulled the same thing and lost his shirt.

Prickly Pete
04-16-2004, 02:05 PM
Like the other posters have said, don't ever be afraid to get your chips in preflop with AA. And on the flop, I'd be calling his $50 even if I had 97.

KHALI
04-16-2004, 04:03 PM
Granted I am new to poker(four months playing) I think you played it right IMO. After your reraise he should have realized he was bested by your hand and folded. I guess he felt like gambling. You have the best hand and will win 83% of the time (I think). The bigger mistake is to let him flop his set cheap and then push afterwards. I would never fold to this flop after putting that much in the pot (860)and only calling his remaining(50) to stay in with A's. Just one of those hands where you have to laugh and realize he made the poor play and got lucky.

Toro
04-16-2004, 04:33 PM
Ever since Moneymaker called Dutch Boyd's all-in raise with pocket 3's, it seems, a lot of players won't lay down these small pairs, thinking everbody's raising with AK. Make em pay, I say. Early, middle, late in the tourney. What difference does it make? You got the best hand. Get it all-in if you can.

chesspain
04-16-2004, 08:41 PM
The only time you should fear busting out by going all-in before the flop with AA is if you are on the bubble and multiple players also on the bubble have already gone all-in. Other then when in this unique situation, if you are afraid to go all-in PF with AA then you should not be playing NL or PL poker.