PDA

View Full Version : Did I get the most out of this?

mmanne
04-16-2004, 12:00 PM
Party Poker 5/10 10 players:

I'm UTG with QQ, I raise, MP1, CO both cold-call, BB calls as well

Flop = 2 2 6 Rainbow
BB Checks, I bet, MP1 Call, CO Call, BB Raise, I 3-bet, MP1 Folds, CO folds

Turn = Q
BB Checks, I bet, He raises, I call

River = Q
BB Bets, I raise, he calls

Obviously, I won, but I'm not sure if I got the most I could have. I was thinking that by calling his turn raise, i would get 4 bets on the river (assuming that the Q or 2 doesn't come up). Should I have been capping the turn, and worrying about the river later?

matt

sfer
04-16-2004, 12:07 PM
I think you played it fine. I doubt he 3-bets the river under any circumstances--only an uber-LAG will do it and they'd do it regardless of your turn raise.

mmanne
04-16-2004, 02:44 PM
Thanks Sfer, anyone else have opinions on this? I've been thinking lately I could improve the money I win on bigger hands (sets and above), this seemed to be a good example of when I might get extra bets in.

Would it have been better to raise/cap the turn and let the river play out?

matt

PokerBob
04-16-2004, 03:37 PM
No. Your flop 3-bet ran off a few players. How can you force them to call 2 cold when running Q's were coming? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Anyway, I think if you re-raise the turn, he calls but won't call a river bet. Either way you end up with 4 bets. After your just call on the turn, the river Q may well have looked harmless to him, so he bet. Well played, I think.

Alobar
04-16-2004, 06:29 PM
3 bet the turn. The person who said he calls your 3 bet then folds to a river bet is very wrong. If he is holding 66 he may very likely cap the turn and lead the river, if the other queen doesnt fall it might get capped as well.

Your holding the second nut hand on the turn, and he is representing a very strong hand (he checkraised your flop 3 bet) so he isnt scared of what you're holding. Use that to you're advantage, hes prolly going to keep pumping the pot with what he thinks is the best hand

sfer
04-16-2004, 07:14 PM
Alobar, you're totally right. I read the hand too quickly and thought that the villain closed the turn action by calling. Flail away.