PDA

View Full Version : A Few Hands to Look for Improvement

DoctorDrew
04-16-2004, 10:16 AM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)
Hand 1:

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. UTG+2 posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 (poster) calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

<font color="purple">Cap? </font>

Flop: (18 SB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(6 players) </font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (14 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls, Button calls, BB calls $0.66 (All-In).

River: (33.66 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players, 1 all-in) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP3 folds, Button calls.

Final Pot: 36.66 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows Qd Qh (two pair, queens and jacks).
Hero shows Ts Td (full house, tens full of jacks).
UTG+2 shows Js Kh (three of a kind, jacks).
Button shows 8s 8h (two pair, jacks and eights).
Outcome: Hero wins 36.66 BB. </font>

Hand 2:
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)
<font color="purple">Not just showing the ones I think I played well. </font>
Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.
<font color="purple"> My last grilling for overplaying my gutshot was fresh in my head </font> /images/graemlins/confused.gif
Turn: (7.25 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, BB calls, MP2 folds.

River: (9.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB

BB doesn't show.
Outcome: BB wins 10.25 BB. </font>

Hand 3:
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Hero calls, BB calls $0.50 (All-In).
<font color="purple"> Again ?Cap </font>
Flop: (18.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(6 players, 1 all-in) </font>
UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (12.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players, 1 all-in) </font>
MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (18.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in) </font>
CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 20.25 BB

BB shows 9c 5h (two pair, nines and fives).
CO shows 5c Kc (two pair, kings and fives).
Hero shows 9d Ad (flush, ace high).
Outcome: Hero wins 20.25 BB. </font>

Hand 4:
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 5.25 BB

No showdown. Hero wins 5.25 BB. </font>

<font color="purple">All comments appreciated. I am trying to be less passive, especially PF. I think I still have a lot of improvement to make. Last night was fun. I had Aces full of Kings betting into my Quad kings. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font>

Sloats
04-16-2004, 10:26 AM
I think 2 you played just fine. 3 over cards over your mid pair would definitely put you behind. The only card you would be chasing would be another 9. And once that J fell, any K would have you drawing dead, so it was good that you folded the turn before.

MaxPower
04-16-2004, 10:34 AM
Hand 1 - Excellent. You don't want to slowplay on either street.

Hand 2 - Excellent fold and you didn't have a gutshot.

Hand 3 - I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish with your turn raise. I think a call here is better. CO most likely has you beaten when he bets into you on the turn. Are you trying to fold out the other player? I don't think that is necessary, he has little chance of winning the pot.

Hand 4 - Wonderfull. Keep playing like this and you will a lot of pots.

DoctorDrew
04-16-2004, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Hand 2 - Excellent fold and you didn't have a gutshot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha! I can only say I hope I knew this at the time. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Nottom
04-16-2004, 11:19 AM
Hand 1: Pretty!

Hand 2: Looks good

Hand 3: I love the preflop raise. Flop raise is good in the big pot, if CO doesn't have a K you really want the 3-bettor to fold something like AQ or JJ.
When CO bets into you again on the turn, I think you should just call with your 2nd pair + nut flush draw. He almost always has a K here.

Hand 4: Perfect. Don't be scared of that A until someone gives you a reason to be.

kiemo
04-16-2004, 11:22 AM
Seems I am the only person who thinks the raise preflop in UTG with TT and 99 in hands one and two is borderline horrible.

Nottom
04-16-2004, 11:45 AM
Yup.

The raise with 99 UTG could be questionable (but certainly not horrible) the raise with TT in the 2nd hand is better than the 99 raise and should be SOP.

DamnRiver
04-16-2004, 11:55 AM
Question Drew, what was your read on the BB in hand 3? Was he a mental patient? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

DoctorDrew
04-16-2004, 01:13 PM
I had no read on the guy that was worth bothering about. He kept busting out and coming back with the minumum buy-in and entering hands. He was all-in about 5 times in the 40 minutes I was there with similar hands. So, yes.

chief444
04-16-2004, 01:44 PM
Looks good to me Doc, except as others have pointed out the turn raise on hand 3.

I will often just limp in UTG with pocket 9's but will sometimes raise.

afs
04-16-2004, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yup.

The raise with 99 UTG could be questionable (but certainly not horrible) the raise with TT in the 2nd hand is better than the 99 raise and should be SOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

SOP?? ... I'd have thought the 99 UTG was mildly bad (though no, not horrible) and the TT UTG+1 was pretty much 50/50 between raising or calling. You're saying TT oughta be raised here (nearly?) every time at a table where you'd expect 5 callers? Seems you're going to have to throw this away on the flop a LOT of the time. How is this a 'necessary' raise, or am I misinterprating you?

Nottom
04-16-2004, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're saying TT oughta be raised here (nearly?) every time at a table where you'd expect 5 callers?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you will be routinely called by hands with 2 undercards I think you have to raise with TT.

DoctorDrew
04-16-2004, 01:59 PM
My early raises were getting a lot of respect at this table, so I went for it here and got caught. Actually I got greedy. On the last cycle of the button I was UTG+1 with 66 and stole the blinds, so I loosened up a bit.

But, that's why I posted it. I think this is great discourse. Although, I don't think it was horrible.

Yeah, should have just called that turn bet, but I was hitting everything and actually kind of tilted because of how great the cards were falling. 2 tables 40 mins total time. +70BB /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

chief444
04-16-2004, 02:33 PM
I agree with Nottom on this one. It's rare that I don't put the first raise in a pot with pocket 10's. Your right that they get thrown away a lot of the time on the flop but if you expect 5 callers then you only have to win a little better than 1 out of 6 hands to make this the right play. 9's I agree are far more questionable, especially from UTG. But I can't say I've never done it.

afs
04-16-2004, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When you will be routinely called by hands with 2 undercards I think you have to raise with TT.

[/ QUOTE ]

The more I think about it, the more this seems right. I think I've been thinking about this a little bit incorrectly -- I assume that a good bit of the reason you'd raise in ep w/ TT is to narrow the field. W/ many callers, you pretty much have to fold if bet into on a flop w/ overcards, and you have to worry a bit if you have an overpair but the flop is coordinated. Still, you're a huge favorite against any number of random hands, and yr opposition will be random-ish, so a bet for value is called for, whether you'll make anyone fold or not. Sound right?

Now, I know this is wrong, but bear with me -- if no one was going to fold, I would raise this hand here if I was feeling confident/alert &amp; limp if mentally/emotionally shaky. It seems you can get into some pretty difficult spots on the flop, and saving the bet makes it easier to get out when you should. I'm not saying this is the case for anyone else, or that there's anything at all good about this being the case for me. I'm sure working on my post-flop play. Well, play in general. I'm just wondering -- would you agree that the argument for a raise is weaker here for a player with weakish post-flop skills?