PDA

View Full Version : Ugh - I hate situations like these

sthief09
04-16-2004, 09:58 AM
A hand I experienced on my daily switch of limits (so far this week I've played 1/2, 2/4, 3/6, and 5/10). As an aside, is this bad? I switch levels depending on my mood. I save 5/10 for the times when I'm thinking clearly.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Anyone raise this preflop?

Flop: (7 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(7 players) </font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

I checked with the intention of folding. Then it came back around, and it seemed like such a good position to check-raise in. Is it worth even getting involved here? When 2 people cold-call I figure the chances someone has an 8 just went up, so I give up. Am I just splashing chips around by making this raise?

Turn: (7.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls.

there's no way I'm calling this

River: (10.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 12.50 BB, between UTG+2 and MP1.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by UTG+2 (12.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG+2 shows Ts Tc (two pair, tens and eights).
MP1 shows 4c 7c (one pair, eights).
Outcome: UTG+2 wins 12.50 BB. </font>

sthief09
04-16-2004, 10:23 AM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, CO calls, SB folds, Hero folds.

cold-call scared me off

Turn: (4.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 10.50 BB, between MP1 and CO.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by CO (10.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP1 shows Ah 8h (three of a kind, aces).
CO shows 4c 4s (full house, fours full of aces).
Outcome: CO wins 10.50 BB. </font>

Munga30
04-16-2004, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Flop: (7 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(7 players) </font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without significant turn improvement, I'm done right here. The c-r is nice if it will knock players out, moreso the lower your bottom pair.

Alobar
04-16-2004, 10:54 AM
hand 1: you're kidding about the PF raise right? I don't like the CR, Its a good idea, I just don't think it works well at this limit because you're going to get callers and your hand stinks. You're hand is vunerable to practically every overcard, you're drawing near dead to an 8, there are multiple draws out there, and at 2/4 people are going to call with just overcards. I think this is only a good play if you have some chance of winning the pot right there, or can isolate it between you and the original better, I think you have zero chance of that in this hand. Just save your chips for a better opportunity

asdf1234
04-16-2004, 11:00 AM
I like to mix it up between limping and raising 62o. It's my third most profitable hand according to pokertracker and I like to be deceptive with it, which certainly adds to my profits.

Seriously though, I really like the flop checkraise idea. I really hate the 3 callers, though, and that would pretty much end it for me as it did for you. As much as I like it though, this probably isn't the best spot.

Tosh
04-16-2004, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A hand I experienced on my daily switch of limits (so far this week I've played 1/2, 2/4, 3/6, and 5/10). As an aside, is this bad? I switch levels depending on my mood. I save 5/10 for the times when I'm thinking clearly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing wrong with this. I will often play 3/6 or even 2/4 to chill out when I can't be bothered to think.

MaxPower
04-16-2004, 11:13 AM
You were right to give it up as soon as you were cold-called on the flop.

As for your check-raise, I'm not crazy about it. The bet did come from someone with two players left to act behind him, so its less likely to be a total steal. I think it is better if your kicker is a high card, because at least you would have a few more outs in case it doesn't work. But hey, you took a shot. At least you were smart enough to give it up at the right time.

PokerBob
04-16-2004, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Am I just splashing chips around by making this raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I kinda think so. With 7 players seeing the flop, I think you will not drive enough of them away, as someone surely is on a club draw and/or an OESD and they will have odds to chase. IMO you are looking at 2 outs, which may be counterfeit anyway as someone may hold an 8.

If you were against 3 others, I think a flop c/r is a great move.

Noodles
04-16-2004, 11:49 AM
"Anyone raise this preflop?"
YES! stop being weak!

ResidentParanoid
04-16-2004, 12:02 PM
It's not completely crazy to take a stab on the flop. Good fold on the raise and cold-call. I'm more likely to do it when there's only one left to act behind me and the paired card is not an ace.

ResidentParanoid
04-16-2004, 12:06 PM
Check-raising this flop is a bad move. You are behind all hands with a 6 in them, over-pairs and of course any 8. Given that the hand is 8 way, just check and fold.

Bob T.
04-16-2004, 12:17 PM
Anyone raise this preflop?

Well, it is my favorite really bad hand. I think when I got pokerstat, I won the first three times I got free plays in the BB, and it is still profitable for me /images/graemlins/grin.gif. Invariably, when you do hit it, there is a point in the hand where your opponent pauses, and you can imagine him thinking, 'well, he could beat me if he had 6-2, but.... I reraise.' But no, I don't think it is a raising hand.

The problem with checkraising this flop, is that you still don't get information about where you are, you opponents could be calling with a flush draw, a OESD, or a lot of hands that beat yours. I would have gone through with your original plan and check/folded this hand.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

Bob T.
04-16-2004, 12:20 PM
Looks routine to me.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.