PDA

View Full Version : How to play 88?

Mors
04-16-2004, 08:10 AM
Hi, I just had 8s8c in the SB, at level 2 of a 20+2. About 5 people called in. I called. The flop came 269 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.
Everyone checked bar the button, he bet. I called. 2 others called. Then the turn came 10s. I had the flush, everyone checked untill the button, he bet 5xBB. I thought about it, then folded. So did everyone else.
My thoughts are this:
If I'd have put in a decent raise PF, the chances are I'd have had at least a couple call me with better overcards and catch - so I'm wasting money?
Keep betting at my 8flush, even though there's a good chance he came into this game with overcards, and one of them was a spade?

How would you guys have played this? I'm real dubious about betting heavy on average pairs early on in a game.

Mors

William
04-16-2004, 08:23 AM
From William's secret recipe book of crappy hands:

1) if the pot is raised fold

2) if the pot is not raised, limp. (unless it's folded to you, then raise)
2.1) if no hit, fold to any bet (guess you went off track here)
2.2) if hit, play agressively

3) if someone doesn't agree, you're wrong. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

William /images/graemlins/cool.gif

mrred
04-16-2004, 08:25 AM
I would have dropped them after the button bet on the flop. That's a scary, scary board, and you got no real piece of it.

Drop the hand, and take comfort in knowing that you saved some chips to battle when you do hit a flop.

TylerD
04-16-2004, 09:08 AM
Early on I play 88 for a limp looking to hit a set on the flop, if I can't limp (ie its been raised more than 3BB very early on) or I don't hit a set I fold without a second thought. I would definately not call with that board.

george w of poker
04-16-2004, 11:49 AM
you fold 88 to any raise preflop? what if the stack sizes mean you have the odds to flop a set?

William
04-16-2004, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you fold 88 to any raise preflop? what if the stack sizes mean you have the odds to flop a set?

[/ QUOTE ]

Odds? what is that?

PrayingMantis
04-16-2004, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Odds? what is that?

William

[/ QUOTE ]

"Odds" is a magic word you say to yourself, while starting to tilt, getting dealt absolute crap, and really want to play something already... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good to see you around again!

PrayingMantis

William
04-16-2004, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Odds? what is that?

William

[/ QUOTE ]

"Odds" is a magic word you say to yourself, while starting to tilt, getting dealt absolute crap, and really want to play something already... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good to see you around again!

PrayingMantis

[/ QUOTE ]

Thx PM /images/graemlins/smile.gif

That's about the best definition of odds I have seen for a long time /images/graemlins/grin.gif

La Brujita
04-16-2004, 12:59 PM
If four other people see a raised flop you could easily call a raise with 88. In a ring game or a tourney with deep enough money you could also call a raise in some circumstances with 88. It puts a lot of pressure on you if you get a flop you like but not love. Whether or not to call in both situations depends on the implied odds you get if you flop a set.

You don't need to open raise with 88 unless you are in a stealing position. You then need to raise because you get additional equity from a possible steal of the blinds.

All that being said, most of the times at SnG's full handed you will be folding 88 to any raise.