PDA

View Full Version : Monterey Bay, Places to Visit [Nature Nuts]

dsm
04-16-2004, 07:22 AM
I was thinking of visiting Monterey Bay. Thought I'd hit the Aquarium to see the kelp beds I heard about (watching Huell Howser) and whatever else they have. I was hoping somebody could mention any other place/s to visit in the Monterey Bay area that a Nature Nut like myself might like.

I'll be driving up from the Los Angeles area, and have never driven up past Santa Barbara. So any point of interest from Santa Barbara up to Monterey Bay that you might consider beautiful, or just plain interesting would be appreciated. I like all types of museums too (saw a couple of nice carriage museums a few weeks back, one in Santa Barbara and a really nice one just south of there in Santa Ynez.

Thanks

David Steele
04-16-2004, 10:29 AM
You may want to try Ano Nuevo:

Link (http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=523)

I think it's a bit late for the spectactular elephant seal gathering
but it may still be going on. You could phone and check first.

17 mile drive is worth taking once, especially if you consider
french pastry shops in Carmel to be nature reserves.

D.

Ray Zee
04-16-2004, 11:08 AM
ano nuevo is north of santa cruz but a wonderful place to go to see the seals. you need a reservation most times so call ahead. also the monarck butterflies are at a few places along the way. one just at the park north end of santa cruz and another the best near monterey at pacific grove. i love to just sit on the bench and be there. this time of year bring binocs. as the whales are migrating still up the coast. watch for the blows. after any storm abolone shells get washed up on the beaches with banks, they are fun to get. so much to see have fun.

Chris Alger
04-16-2004, 11:21 AM
If you're taking Hwy 1, see the elephant seals just north of Cambria and the Monarch Butterflies in Pelican Grove. In Cambria you can grab an excellent lunch at Robin's. If you're a fan of kitsch culture, stop at the opulent Carriage House north of Santa Maria, a ranch-cum-Inn ca. 1950, creepily masculine with burnished wood, antlers and Bavarian caring everywhere, giant clamshell sinks in the restrooms, shrines to visiting dead celebrities like John Wayne (who could have done the decorating).

andyfox
04-16-2004, 12:19 PM
It's touristy, but I always love the 17 mile drive in Carmel/Pebble Beach. Do it first thing in the morning. The Point Lobos State Reserve is also wonderful.

Down the coast a bit, Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park is lovely. The Carmel Mission is one of the more picturesque of the California Missions.

Highway 1 north of San Luis Obispo is one of the most glorious drives in the world. You're gonna love it. If you're into such things, Heart Castle is a monument to William Randholph Hearst's ego and worth seeing once; it's a beautiful location.

BTW, at Santa Barbara, take route 154 past Lake Cachuma. A beautiful drive. It leaves 101 and then reconnects with it, and you're even saving a few miles. Check to see if Chumash Painted Cave is open, there's spectacular rock art there.

andyfox
04-16-2004, 12:22 PM
I've seen the monarchs in Pacific Grove, quite a sight.

The only butterfly that migrates. Not sure if this is the time of year they'll be there though.

M2d
04-16-2004, 01:08 PM
I always wonder at their instinct and fortitude. They embark on a journey that takes longer than their lifespan, yet it's so ingrained in them that they do it every year.
amazing.

andyfox
04-16-2004, 01:18 PM
http://www.riverdeep.net/current/2000/09/092900_migrations.jhtml

youtalkfunny
04-16-2004, 01:51 PM
Rent a moped for the 17-mile drive, and go SLOW. Savor it. Plenty of seals and otters to keep a "nature lover" happy.

Zeno
04-16-2004, 02:18 PM
I visited there last year with an old college friend. Carmel/Pacfic Grove is fun if toursity. There are many excellent small and cosy resturants in the area, some with outstanding wine selections. I engaged in some great gastronamtic contests with my friend. Some interesting galleries to browse through also. All very cultured and upscale. I fit right in. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

And we visit the Carmel Mission, so I second your recommendation on this idea. The town of Monterery was fun to visit and a Maritime Museum there is worth seeing.

We also drove south from Cramel and took some hikes along the shore etc. Very stunning scenery.

-Zeno

Ulysses
04-16-2004, 04:15 PM
I'm not a nature nut, so I can't help out there. But the Aquarium rules. Buying an advance ticket is a great idea: Advance tix by phone or online (http://www.mbayaq.org/vi/vi_aquarium/vi_aq_ticket.asp#advance)

You get to go the same line as members. On weekends, especially, this is huge as the regular line and wait can be ridiculously long.