PDA

View Full Version : At what point do you get scared?

Levi King
04-15-2004, 10:03 PM
I have played with MP3 before and have the following detailed player note: "3B 44 pre, 4B on flop w nothing and flush showing." I have also observed him betting and raising marginal hands in this session.

Party Poker 3/6 (10 handed)
Hero has 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif and is Button

MP3 limps, Hero raises, SB folds, BB calls, MP3 3-bets, Hero caps, BB folds, MP3 calls

Flop(10 2/5 SB): T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

MP3 bets, Hero calls

Turn(6 1/5 BB): 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif

MP3 bets, Hero raises, MP3 3-bets, Hero caps, MP3 calls

River(14 1/5 BB): 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif

MP3 bets, Hero raises, MP3 3-bets...

So, at what point, if any, do you back off your full house? How do you like the cap pre flop? Results to follow...

joker122
04-15-2004, 10:18 PM
I'd play it the same way you did except I'd probably raise the flop - he's obviously going to give you all the action you want so there's no need to slowplay it.

I'd probably cap the river. There's one realistic hand that beats you (TT) and I just can't give him credit for it. Maniacs get tricky sometimes with big hands (the limp reraise) and I'd be willing to bet he severely overplayed AA or KK.

I'm curious to hear other people's opinion though.

JTG51
04-15-2004, 10:42 PM
So your opponent is a maniac, right? I can't imagine not capping the river.

More troubling though is why would you slowplay your set on the flop against a guy that you already know will go crazy with nothing? You should be looking to get multiple bets on both the flop and the turn against this guy.

Levi King
04-16-2004, 03:13 AM
You guys are right, given my read I should have played the flop stronger. It wouldn't have helped, though. I cap the flop. He turns over TT to beat my 9's full.

Even maniacs catch cards.

This was a brilliant start to the worst session I have ever experienced. I have discovered two requirements I have to win at poker:
1. I need to catch good cards.
2. I need to win with them.

Thanks for the feedback.

JTG51
04-16-2004, 03:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have discovered two requirements I have to win at poker:
1. I need to catch good cards.
2. I need to win with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget the alternate strategy:

1. Catch average cards.
2. Try win with both the good and bad ones.

That's a very popular strategy on Party. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

LivingLegend58
04-16-2004, 04:39 AM
There is no way you can back off. You have to cap. Good play though. I like the cap pre flop.

Ulysses
04-16-2004, 01:39 PM
I never get scared until he shows me TT or 33 after I cap the river.

With the button, your notes on this opponent, and the BB in the middle, I probably cap pre-flop as well. The chance to get rid of BB and get HU w/ 99 v. this opponent with the pot already getting big is well worth it.