PDA

View Full Version : Playing aggresively in big pots: A good example?

MaxPower
04-15-2004, 08:10 PM
I posted this hand months ago. Granted my pre-flop play was a little fishy, but on the turn I made every effort to scare the hell out of anyone with an Ace. It worked - the two players who held an ace folded to my turn raise and my hand was good

Is this a good example of aggressively pursuing the big pots or am I just crazy?

5/10 Kill game at Foxwoods. One very good player, One calling station, and everyone else is trying to play well but don't really know how. There is not too much pre-flop raising. I'm not getting many playable hands.

This is a kill pot. I'm in the CO and the Button is posting the Kill.

UTG limps, EP Calling Station limps, MP player raises, I'm in the cutoff with pocket twos. I figure the Kill and big blind will call so I talk myself into calling. The Kill 3-bets (D'oh), the BB calls, UTG says, "I cap" (D'oh, D'oh), everyone calls to me, I grudgingly call 20 more, Kill and BB call. Six players to the flop - Pot is $242.

Flop: 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG bets, everyone calls. Pot $302.

Turn: 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Checked to MP player (original pre-flop raiser). He bets, I raise to $40, Kill folds, BB folds, UTG folds, Calling Station cold-calls, MP calls.

River: 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Checked around.

Calling Station shows KK, MP shows JJ, two aces were folded.

balkii
04-15-2004, 08:19 PM
Are you sure you posted the hand correctly? Why would anyone fold an Ace on the turn?

If the players are really that weak-tight than you should probably never check and never call in that game.

MaxPower
04-15-2004, 08:24 PM
I made a mistake in posting it. I just corrected it. There were 3 diamonds on the turn. I was pretty shocked that they folded. Needless to say, this hand was the talk of the table for the next 15 minutes.

balkii
04-15-2004, 08:33 PM
Ok. Well uh great play then. My favorite thing about sets is that even when you're behind, hey, you can always fill up! I tend to always put an extra bet in when I have a set because of this, and because aggressive play has so many good side effects like making people fold the best hand.

sfer
04-15-2004, 11:06 PM
That's still two shocking folds. I can't imagine you'll be able to pull that off regularly. I've just seen so many 1-card ignorant ends of so many straights shown down.

CrackerZack
04-15-2004, 11:51 PM
i still think you're out of your gourd.

That's ok though.

as for the raise on the turn, I LOVE IT! you can't fold, so I like the chance to KO someone with a straight.

James Boston
04-16-2004, 01:24 AM
Your pre-flop play is very questionable, but you recognized that, so I'll move on. The only thing I don't like is that you didn't bet the river. Sure, you had bought the button and got to show down without paying anymore, and you might have gotten check-raised. I still think that by not giving anyone reason to fold, you made a mistake.