PDA

View Full Version : any advice for a new player?

opmal7
04-15-2004, 05:42 PM
Hello everyone. I'm new to these forums, and am really impresses with the knowledge some of the people here have about the game. I've been playing low stakes home games with my friends for about a year. I will be graduating from high school in about a month, and will be going away to college next fall. I am working part time trying to get as much money as I can to bring with me to college, and I have been thinking of using Internet Poker as a way to give myself some extra spending money while I'm getting my education.

I know that poker is not a game of luck, and have been trying to become better before I start trying to win money in the game. I bought Sklansky's Theory of Poker, and read through it very quickly. Then I got $50 in chips on pokerstars, and was amazed at how quickly that money was gone even when I was playing at the 25-50 cent tables. I lost a lot of big pots to people who caught their draws on the river, and told myself that they got lucky, and that if I invested more money, I would eventually break even if I stuck to Sklansky's playing methods. I lost this money even faster than I lost my first investment, and I realized that I was playing very poorly, and still have a lot to learn about tha game.

I am putting a halt on my bankroll until I finish re-reading Sklansky's book. I am going over it with a highlighter, and it is reminding me a lot of studying for a big Calculus test. I will probably start playing again after graduation, and most likely will be needing help finding what I am doing wrong on certain hands (I apoligize in advance).

I know that it will take many many hands before I can begin consistantly winning, and that will mean a lot of initial money loss. I am not looking to become a professional player or anything (I will be studying mechanical engineering next year, and want to go professional in that), but I would like to get good enough that I can make a little extra pocket cash. What I would like is any advice you guys migh have or any books you have read that could help me minimize the costs of playing and learning the game.

Lori
04-15-2004, 05:57 PM
Then I got $50 in chips on pokerstars, and was amazed at how quickly that money was gone even when I was playing at the 25-50 cent tables

Play smaller, nobody knows it's you playing 2c/4c so there's no pride to be lost, move up when you are comfortable that you are winning.

This has three main benefits.

1. You will learn the basic principles behind why bad players are bad players, and why they give you money in the long run.

2. You will gain confidence from eventually being the best player at a table.

3. It's cheap, but it is still real money and most are still trying to win.

Lori

Nottom
04-15-2004, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What I would like is any advice you guys migh have or any books you have read that could help me minimize the costs of playing and learning the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you posted here, so you are way ahead of most players. I suggest that you try to read as many of the threads in the Low/Micro-Limit Forums as you can. Ask questions if you don't understand why people do the things they do. Post hands you think you played poorly or (even better) post hands you think you played well. Once you have read a book or two and understand the basics, these forums are about the best resource available for improving your game.

opmal7
04-15-2004, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I didn't think about playing at the micro-limit tables. I figured if I was gonna play, i would either win or lose. Playing at the 2c/4c tables would help me to learn some of the basics without risking a lot of money. I've read a lot about this Poker Tracker software. I downloaded it, but haven't registered it. Is it worth paying the money to register it right now, or should I wait until I start playing the game more seriously? Also, what are some of the advantages of registering it? Thanks for all the help guys /images/graemlins/cool.gif

JEM7VSBL
04-16-2004, 12:30 AM
the trial version has all the features of the full version, but you can only load 1000 hands. registering lets you upload an unlimited number of hands.

arfsananto
04-16-2004, 09:46 AM
Is TOP (Theory of Poker) the only book you've read? If so, I strongly recommend Sklansky's Hold'Em Poker, and Jones' Winnging Low Limit Holdem.

HEP goes well with TOP, and I found the sections on preflop strategy and which flops are good for which hands especially valuable.

WLLHE is an overall good primer for play on all streets.

I think the most important thing you should do first is to read these books, and every thread in the micro forum as far back as they go. Then, using the books modified by the info in these forums, develop a good, tight starting hand strategy. That should start you winning (or at least stop losing).

I second what Lori said about moving down to .02/.04 level. I started with $50 in Stars about 4 months ago, and I'm now playing .25/.50 (winning so far, but too early to be sure).

Keep studying and stick with it, you'll do fine.