PDA

View Full Version : Credit Card with Rewards (a bit OT)

RocketManJames
04-15-2004, 02:50 PM
So, I used to get a whopping 2.25% reward on my credit card. Basically, for every $2K spent I got a free trade up to $45 in value (larger options trades, even at online rates easily hit $45).

Well, the credit card is ending this reward, so I'm now looking for a new one. Any credit cards out there that provide a good reward (cash, airline miles, hotel stays) that as a percentage is pretty good? I don't really feel like spending $25000 to get a $300 round-trip flight when I can get 2% cash-back instead. I prefer cash over bonuses, but if the bonuses are really good, I'd gladly take them over the cash.

I do not want to pay annual fees, and I do not care about the interest rates, as I tend to pay off my balance in full each month. My credit is in good standing, so I am not limited by that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-RMJ

Ray Zee
04-15-2004, 08:37 PM
costco gives a card giving some back. but all cards that i know of that give anything worthwhile charge you a fee every year. and that fee is as much as you get back about unless you spend an awful lot and some limit your return as well. oh by the way there is no free lunch.

RocketManJames
04-15-2004, 09:31 PM
Thanks, I will look into Costco card. But, just so you know, I had no annual fee with my last card, and I got a $45 trade free with every $2K purchased. Since I regularly utilize trades where online commissions exceed the $45, I found this to be a great deal. Too bad they are ending the rewards after 2 1/2 years.

-RMJ

plj8624
04-15-2004, 11:27 PM
I have a card called ChasePerfect Card that gives 6% back on gasoline purchases for the first 90 days, %3 on gasoline purchases thereafter. %1 cash back on all other purchases. All the rewards are applied to paying your next month's balance. No annual fee. Check out:
www.chaseperfectcard.com (http://www.chaseperfectcard.com)

RocketManJames
04-16-2004, 03:06 AM
Thanks, this one looks like a winner. I applied today. I don't drive a fuel-guzzling car, but 3% cash back on gas sounds great. Looks like I'm going to be getting cash in return for filling up friends' tanks soon (ha ha). Reminds me of the old Winona Ryder movie, Reality Bites.

Thanks for the tip.

-RMJ

StevieG
04-16-2004, 01:27 PM
I have been using a Gateway card that kicks back 1% good for Gateway (got me a nice HP printer/scanner)

I only shop at Amazon with their card, which kicks back 3% for stuff bought at Amazon, 1% elsewhere, redeemable in units of $25 in the form of gift certificates

Zeno
04-16-2004, 03:42 PM
I have an REI Visa card that gives a rebate at the end of the year. 1% . Small but it adds up as I use it as a 'business credit card'. Plus you get on average a 10% rebate on all purchases at REI stores at the end of the year and they produce top quality outdoor gear and equipment.

I also have an AAA credit card (Visa) that gives an 8% rebate on all gas purchases, deducted every month from my bill. That adds up and I use it everywhere I can to buy fuel. You must belong to AAA but it's only $50 a year and the benefits make up for this marginal cost. I also get discounted Automobile insurance through them. So you can save quite a bit overall by joining.

-Zeno

BadBoyBenny
04-16-2004, 06:23 PM
I got a 1% cash back Visa - 7.9% apr - no fees.

I got it through the Motley fool site, but I wasn't a member, I went to read an article and the ad for it popped up.

I hear Discover usually has bigger rewards but they don't take them a lot of places because they overcharge merchants to get the reward money for you.