PDA

View Full Version : Party wierdness, did I do the right thing?

Gar Pike
04-15-2004, 02:17 PM
2nd hand, Party 10+1 NL, I get KK in EP.

I limped, several more limpers and CO raises to 30, blinds fold, 1 caller(Antag) and I raise to 125.

All fold to Antag, who calls

Flop is T /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Antag checks. My thought here was to win the pot, so I push. I have 20 more chips than he does.

Antag thinks for a long time, and calls all-in. Turns over K /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Results in white: <font color="white"> Turn &amp; river are hearts, hearts, and I have T20 left </font>

Now, I know he made a horrible call, and I have him in my notes. I'm not so much whining about fate as I'm wondering if I played it right. Would it be better, after the flop, to just make another T100-T150 bet? Sometimes I think a push on a ragged flop is a weaker statement about the strength of your hand than a smaller, but still good-sized bet. If he had called a T125-ish bet on the flop, when the heart came on the turn I would have made the same bet and folded to a raise or check/folded on the river when the 4th heart came up. Does that sound right?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Gar

Rick Diesel
04-15-2004, 02:29 PM
"Sometimes I think a push on a ragged flop is a weaker statement about the strength of your hand than a smaller, but still good-sized bet"

I agree with this statement to a point, but do not think that you are thinking this all the way through. With your hand, you WANT him to call. Yes, 5% of the time he will hit a ridiculous runner runner and you are essentially out of the tournament, but 95% of the time you double up. I frequently push all-in with a strong hand, hoping that someone will read it as a bluff and call me down with a weak hand, needing to hit runner runner to beat me.

YOU MADE THE RIGHT PLAY HERE! Don't sweat it, he just got extremely lucky. I would mark him down as someone to play against whenever possible.

Rick Diesel

DarkKnight
04-15-2004, 07:52 PM
I'll answer your question with a question. If you knew he had K6o and also knew he'd call an all-in bet - what would you do?

I sure hope the answer is push all in.

about 90% of the time you get his stack. The reason we choose not to risk our stacks early in a tournament is so that we'll have chips left when a better opportunity comes along. YOU WILL RARELY HAVE A BETTER OPPORTUNITY THAN THIS ONE.

DK