PDA

View Full Version : Theoretical Question - All the Chips to a player...

SaintAces
04-15-2004, 02:05 PM
Settings:
6 person, winner take all 10$ buy-in.
Everyone starts with 75 chips.

Assuming you are a better player than "person X", would you get good odds for your money if you just let everyone tear eachother up until one had 375 chips and you with your remaining 75? How hard is it to comeback?

What if second place gets 20$ back, with first getting 40$. Does this change anything?

I hope you understand my question - thanks!

LetsRock
04-15-2004, 02:58 PM
I think I'd rather try to build a little rather than give someone an automatic chip lead. IF the cards aren't coming, then what esle can you do.

The problem with giving someone that kind of headstart is that you're limiting your window of opportunity for your edge. Remember, your edge is relativley small, so you need lots of opportunities to work your edge. You'd also be counting on a lot of luck over the last few hands.

I'd be a little more willing to be patient if there was a payout for second. Cruise into second for profit and then let's see what happens? That can work, but it's much easier to cruise into second if you build your stack alittle along the way.

z32fanatic
04-15-2004, 05:18 PM
If I was guaranteed to get 2nd place by folding almost every time, I would. I would at least double my money every time. I do this sometimes on Party.

Peter Harris
04-15-2004, 07:02 PM
with a payout for 2nd, i'd cruise a lot more often.

If it's winner takes all, then you have to push your edge earlier on. In Tournament Poker for Advanced Players, Sklansky talks about how heads up chip counts translate mathematically to your odds of winning, so here you are 5-1 to win all.

If you work an edge during the game, you should be better than 5-1 by heads up time, and your skill will outdo the other guy. If you are a 5-1 dog at HU, then it's a lot lot lot harder.

Thus: 2nd payout, you can play tighter if you are positive you will get into 2nd place (against people who wouldn't try and eliminate you as short stack 3-way).

1st only: push that edge and build that stack for the final battle!

All the best,
Peter Harris