PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on Party ($10 + 1) Tournament Hand

dabluebery
04-15-2004, 12:25 PM
Hey, I got killed last night for making this call. Anyone agree that I made a bad decision? I had just won a huge hand, putting me in 2nd chip position, from T500 the previous hand. I made this call, and everyone at the table thought I was a moron. I think I made mistakes not betting pre-flop, or betting the flop if I was going to call his all-in, but that's semantics. I ended up winning the tournament...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t590)
Hero (t2255)
BB (t405)
UTG (t130)
MP (t2010)
CO (t2610)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, MP folds, CO folds, Button calls t30, Hero completes, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to t100</font>, Button folds, Hero calls t70.

Flop: (t230) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets t305 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t305.

Turn: (t840) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in) </font>

River: (t840) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in) </font>

Final Pot: t840
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: t840 (t840), between Hero and BB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (t840).</font>

Results:
Hero shows Ad Qh (straight, ace high).
BB shows Kh Kc (three of a kind, kings).
Outcome: Hero wins t840. </font>

Prickly Pete
04-15-2004, 12:32 PM
Here's what I would have done differently at each stage:

1. Raise on the button.

2. Once you get raised by BB, I'd reraise allin. It helps to avoid the tough flop decision when he goes allin and you miss the flop.

3. Fold to allin bet. But I don't think calling it is as bad as the guys at your table probably did. How often will you see the BB play this hand the same way with A5? Enough to at least consider calling, I'd say.

GoSox
04-15-2004, 12:44 PM
I would have raised initially probably 1/2 the time; given you completed I would have called his raise also. Once you missed the flop though and are left with a single overcard I would have probably folded to the all in. It's not a huge bet and you have a good stack but too many people double up the short stack trying to get rid of them too quick. Even short stacks get good hands, take him out when you think you have the advantage.

sabre170
04-15-2004, 03:45 PM
Maybe it is a weakness of mine, but if I'm the big stack,
and will remain the big stack even should I lose, I will call a desperate all-in from a short stack will almost any two cards.

Prickly Pete
04-15-2004, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe it is a weakness of mine, but if I'm the big stack,
and will remain the big stack even should I lose, I will call a desperate all-in from a short stack will almost any two cards

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree with loosening the standards for calling "desperate" allins, I think playing almost any two cards is a mistake.