PDA

View Full Version : Mistake, but how bad

pgec311
04-15-2004, 12:22 PM
$10+1 tourney last night. Still first level of blinds, and I did something very uncharacteristic. I am in middle position with JJ, utg+1 goes all-in (1/2 my stack). I see this as either a total bluff or somebody who has to leave, since he will only be getting the $30 in blinds. So I call, everyone around the table folds to the SB who also calls. Flop comes 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif,10 /images/graemlins/club.gif,5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, i bet the rest of my stack, SB calls, Turn is 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, River is 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. utg+1 turns over 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif, 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, two pairs SB turns over A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif,10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif,A hi flush, and I have the J hi flush, to lose the pot. I don't usually put my money at risk this early, but knew this was a bluff, and didn't expect the second caller. Was this a bad play or bad luck?

PC

GoSox
04-15-2004, 12:39 PM
To be honest, I've done it myself when I'm frustrated or tilting, but I consider it bad play. You were right he was bluffing, but he could just as easily been bluffing with an A,K, or Q in there and your pair suddenly starts looking more like a coin flip. And it's not late enough and you're not short stacked enough for coin flips.

On the other hand, you'll probably get responses saying how doubling up early will give you a big stack to push everyone around and easily coast to a victory. I have just never believed in the hero or zero approach.

M.B.E.
04-15-2004, 01:43 PM
I don't think this is a bad play. Your read of UTG+1 was spot-on. The only question is, preflop are you better off just calling (as you did) or pushing in? I like the play of just calling because it increases the chance of being called by hands like 99 and AT, which you dominate.

The question to ask is this: suppose someone behind me (including the blinds) has AQ. Is that person likely to call if I just call, but fold if I raise? In most cases the answer to that question will be no. But if you think the answer is yes, then pushing in is the better play for you.

daryn
04-15-2004, 03:45 PM
your post is titled "mistake, but how bad" but i say it's no mistake. you got your money in with the best of it, end of story.

PrayingMantis
04-15-2004, 04:56 PM
I think that if there's a mistake here, it's calling for half you stack instead of pushing all-in. If you believe he's making a move with nothing, and you think your JJ is good (by good I don't mean a little more than 50-50), then pushing is by far the better move IMO. You really don't want anybody to call along with some over cards, that will significantly diminish your chances of winning this. This is a classic spot for an isolation push. If you are sure enough of your read, show the others they'll have to pay big to join this pot.

Another point, is that calling for half your stack is usualy not a good move, unless you have some specific plan about a post-flop move (stop-and-go). But this is not the place.