PDA

View Full Version : Making $ or improving your poker skills?

Rocco
04-15-2004, 09:53 AM
Hello 2+2ers...

Lately I have abandonded my usual one-table game and moved on to play the maximum 4 tables simultaneously at Party. This has seen my bankroll increase quite a bit and that makes me happy of course. Though, playing multiple tables, you aren't focused on other players actions and I really don't see how my own play can improve this way.

What's your aim? Do you play entirely to gain $ or do you play to become a better player? Any people out there who mix?

Recently, I tried to move up to 3/6 from 2/4 and had a major setback. My advice to those who play multiple tables is to become familiar with the new limit before taking on additional tables. Maybe, I just experienced bad luck... Anyone succeeded with this move right away?

LetsRock
04-15-2004, 11:08 AM
I agree that playing multiple tables will inhibit your ability to grow. You can't focus on the details, you're just playing a very "scripted" version of your game.

It depends on what you want from the game - if you just want to continue making money at the rate you're making it, then continue with the multiple tables. If you want to improve so you can take on bigger limits someday, then I'd suggest you spend more time on one table at a time really focusing on reading the players and making your decisions based on the table conditions instead of your scripted multi table game.

Moving up in limits: I really don't think there is any real difference in the play at 3/6 vs. 2/4. The problem with moving up, is if your first session is ugly, it can put a fairly uncomfortable dent in your BR which can be pretty scary. Make sure you have plenty of BR when you move up, especially when playing multiple tables.

Saborion
04-15-2004, 11:36 AM
I play multiple tables, trying to focus on one. Not learning as fast and good as I could by only playing 1-2 tables, but as long as I'm improving I'm happy. Sometimes I play a bit higher, and then only play 1-2 tables and really try to focus. It all depends on what your goal is I suppose.

About lowering the # of tables when moving up in limit is a very good idea. If you're a winning player on 2/4 I doubt multiple tables was what made you experience that loss at 3/6. Lots of reasons. Variance, playing scared etc.

sthief09
04-15-2004, 12:07 PM
3-6 is a different game than 2-4. Most games I've experienced are pretty tight.

But playing 4 tables is good for giving you playing experience, and teaching you to play like a robot. This is actually good when you're learning the game, because more hands means more different situations means more experience. I don't think playing the player is too important until you get to 5-10, or MAYBE 3-6