PDA

View Full Version : Six Max strategy and gameplay adjustments

SpaceAce
04-15-2004, 05:31 AM
I know there are discussions on short-handed playing theory and adjustments for specific hands but I am wondering what those of you who play a lot of six-handed online games consider to be the five or ten (if any) most important adjustments you make to your game when playing the six max tables. I am not necessarily looking for in-depth analyses or explanations although they are welcome; I just want to know what works for you.

SpaceAce

gonores
04-15-2004, 10:39 AM
1. Never open-limp, rarely limp behind.
2. Defend your blinds, especially the BB, strongly.
3. Game selection is key.
4. Ace high is often a good hand
5. Master the value bet

SpaceAce
04-15-2004, 02:57 PM
Thanks, gonores. Your reply is the sort of thing I am looking for.

SpaceAce

Your Mom
04-15-2004, 02:59 PM
Everyone is playing a lot of hands. This makes it easier to determine what kind of players your opponent are. Use this information to your advantage. In other words, value bet calling stations, but don't bluff them. Believe tight straight foward players' raises, etc, etc.

NLSoldier
04-15-2004, 03:37 PM
Gonores list is excellent. Id like to add

6.Rarely/Never Cold call

SpaceAce
04-15-2004, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone is playing a lot of hands. This makes it easier to determine what kind of players your opponent are. Use this information to your advantage. In other words, value bet calling stations, but don't bluff them. Believe tight straight foward players' raises, etc, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point. Would you say a decent way to phrase it is, "Develop and rely more heavily on reads of your opponents"?

Thanks,
SpaceAce

SpaceAce
04-15-2004, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gonores list is excellent. Id like to add

6.Rarely/Never Cold call

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, NLSoldier.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. If anyone else wants to reply or if any of the people who already have want to add something, please consider stating what level you play at or what level a specific piece of advice applies to if it does not apply across the board.

Thanks again,
SpaceAce

Gramps
04-15-2004, 05:17 PM
Unless you're used to playing in LAG full-table games, another adjustment to make is that you'll encounter a lot of opponents who like to raise the Turn with 2nd pair, a draw, even a bluff. Don't believe the hype. Doesn't mean you don't slow down, doesn't mean there aren't times when you lay down, but top pair/good kicker holds up more than in full table play, and (at least in the Party 5/10 6-max games), you'd be surprised how often top pair/good kicker holds up in the face of a Turn raise - especially if you follow the "no open-limping rule" and are taking the initiative in the hands you play.

Your Mom
04-16-2004, 01:06 AM
I think so.

PokerNoob
04-16-2004, 01:40 PM
I've been playing the prima and crypto 1/2 and 2/4 6-max games and it seems to me to be a slightly looser and ever so slightly more aggressive version of the full tables.

I've observed the prima 3/6 6-max and it seems to still be a preflop limpfest, although it gets more aggressive postflop. This is my next stop in my own personal OIC. Anybody want to share any further observations about this particular game?

Also, how valid is the general advice of "play like a full table where the first 4 positions folded" and "raise instead of call and bet instead of check" particularly as it relates to limits below 5/10?