PDA

View Full Version : Tough Decision

ThaSaltCracka
04-15-2004, 01:03 AM
Okay here is the situation.

Recently I encountered a tough decision while playing MVP Baseball 2004 for the PS2, here it is.
Its the bottom of the 8th inning, I am the home team. Jamie Moyer is on the mound with a no hitter going. He is only 50% right now, should I let him pitch to A-Rod, or should I bring in someone fresh from the bullpen?

any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Results to follow....

Losing all
04-15-2004, 03:39 AM
I'd pull that soft tossin hump in this situation, in a close game, every time. How much were you up? If less than 6-0 I'd have pulled his crafty, no stuff ass.

Stagemusic
04-15-2004, 07:31 AM
Ahh hell, leave him in and give him the chance to win it for you.

In 2003 Moyer pitched in 4 games against the Rangers with A-Rod playing in 3 of them. He went 2-0 with a 3.65 ERA giving up 27 hits over 24 innings with 17 strikeouts and only 7 walks. He is not a power pitcher and relies on location of his pitches to get people out so the 50% number is far less important for him than it would be a Martinez or some other "power" pitcher.

Teach him to throw an "Ephus" pitch and A-Rod throws his back out trying to crush it lol /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ThaSaltCracka
04-15-2004, 11:29 AM
I pitched to him, I missed with my circle change and he knocked it for a double, however since we were up 5-0, I let him pitch out and finish the game. we won, 5-0 with only one hit allowed.

Thanks for the help guys.

BTW, Whats up everyone, I just posted this to basically say Hi, and let everyone know I am still alive, and also that I will be playing the SnG tonight.... watch out first time playing poker in 2 weeks. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

kerssens
04-15-2004, 12:32 PM
Get him out of there!! He's gonna retire after the season anyways

kerssens
04-15-2004, 12:34 PM
Should have traded Ibanez

ThaSaltCracka
04-15-2004, 12:55 PM
your right, I should have tried hard to aquire Kerry Wood.

jedi
04-15-2004, 01:20 PM
He's got a frickin no-hitter going. Leave him in. Don't jeopardize your lead by pitching DIRECTLY to ARod though. Don't be afraid to walk him. It's a no-no, not a perfect game.

ThaSaltCracka
04-15-2004, 01:26 PM
hmmmm....
I detest walking anyone, but I think your right. Question though.... am I getting sufficient odds that if I walk him the next batter will get out? I want to play the proper +EV here, so in the long run, I acquire more no hitters, and less 1,2,3 hitters.

Simon Diamond
04-15-2004, 01:29 PM
What's more important - your team winning, or your pitcher getting a no-hitter?

Simon

kerssens
04-15-2004, 01:41 PM
I didn't see the no hitter thing or the 5-0 lead thing....might as well leave him in

Rick Diesel
04-15-2004, 01:53 PM
If it is the bottom of the eighth inning, and you are the home team, with Seattle from the AL (uses DH), how does your thoughts about Jamie Moyer matter. You should be batting.

Rick Diesel

jedi
04-15-2004, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If it is the bottom of the eighth inning, and you are the home team, with Seattle from the AL (uses DH), how does your thoughts about Jamie Moyer matter. You should be batting.

Rick Diesel

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he pulled the old "How did I play this? Wait, that was actually my idiot opponent! trick."

ThaSaltCracka
04-15-2004, 02:23 PM
LOL,
my bad the home team thing is irrelavent. Its the bottom of the 8th and I am pitching.

PrayingMantis
04-15-2004, 02:54 PM
Cracka,

This sure looks like a very tough decision. Problem is I know absolutely nothing about this game, except that people hit balls with bats and then run. Anyway, my suggestion is let him pitch to A-Rod, whatever that means. It sounds to me like the best thing to do in this situation. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

PrayingMantis

ThaSaltCracka
04-15-2004, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the advice PM.
BTW, the game is baseball.
Click this link to learn more about the greatest game in the world.
MLB (http://www.mlb.com)

Simon Diamond
04-15-2004, 07:02 PM
Isn't baseball just rounders for grown men?

Simon

ThaSaltCracka
04-15-2004, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't baseball just rounders for grown men?

[/ QUOTE ]
What the hell is rounders????
I think I have heard of it, but I can't remember.

nevermind I looked it up, I was laughing while I was reading the rules, it sounds more like cricket than baseball, but I see the similarities.

Simon Diamond
04-15-2004, 07:45 PM
Rounders is baseball for girls. You hit the ball and run round in a circle to score.

I cannot see any similarity between rounders (or baseball for that matter) and cricket. What is your reasoning for thinking they are similar?

Simon

ThaSaltCracka
04-15-2004, 08:34 PM
there not similar, but there are some similarities. Does that make sense?
The game sounds ridiculous though, and incredibly stupid.

Simon Diamond
04-15-2004, 08:42 PM
The only similarity I can see is that you use a bat to hit a ball, then you run. In cricket you don't even have to run if you don't want to.

The PS2 game sounds interesting though, is it purely a management sim or do you have to control the players actions too?

Simon

ThaSaltCracka
04-15-2004, 09:15 PM
I am currently doing the dynasty mode in which you are essentially the GM for your MLB, AAA, and AA team. You set the batting order, defense, pitching rotation, you do contract negotiations, call up or send down players, sign free agents or trade players.

You can do this with your franchise for 120 seasons if you want. You can sim every game if you want, manage every game, or play every game, or do a combination of any of these three. Games take about 20 minutes to play, 5 minutes to manage and 5 seconds to sim.

Its a pretty sweet game, plus you can unlock legendary players and sign them to your team as free agents.

VarlosZ
04-16-2004, 02:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Games take about 20 minutes to play, 5 minutes to manage and 5 seconds to sim.

[/ QUOTE ]
20 minutes to play? Either they've drastically sped up the game for the new version (which would be a good thing), or you're not playing the full 9 innings (sacrilege!). Even "High Heat 2003," the fastest paced baseball game I've played, took about 30 minutes for a full game (maybe 25 if it's a 1-0 nothing pitcher's duel).

Also, I think simming a game takes just a fraction of a second (again, unless it's much different than previous versions). At five seconds, simming a whole season would take almost 3.5 hours.

As for Moyer, hell yes leave him in. Someone else asked if you'd rather win the game or pitch a no-hitter. Well, that's easy: pitch a no-hitter. Going for an amazing achievement is much more fun than slightly increasing your odds of winning one game in a 162 game season.

Regards,
Jer

guppy
04-16-2004, 03:27 AM
Don't let your fading pitcher lose the game with ARod at the plate.

Let Moyer bean ARod, then go to the pen.

William
04-16-2004, 08:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[/BTW, the game is baseball.
Click this link to learn more about the greatest game in the world.
quote]

Are you on drugs? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

William /images/graemlins/cool.gif

ThaSaltCracka
04-16-2004, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Let Moyer bean ARod, then go to the pen.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have told a couple of other people they were right with there advice, but now I can truely say you are right. I should have beaned pay-rod!!!! /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif

ThaSaltCracka
04-16-2004, 11:25 AM
Its probably 20-30 minutes. The games are pretty quick though

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I think simming a game takes just a fraction of a second (again, unless it's much different than previous versions). At five seconds, simming a whole season would take almost 3.5 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]
sometimes you guys are so annoying on here /images/graemlins/grin.gif, half a second, 2 seconds, 5 seconds, whatever its fast.

[ QUOTE ]
As for Moyer, hell yes leave him in. Someone else asked if you'd rather win the game or pitch a no-hitter. Well, that's easy: pitch a no-hitter. Going for an amazing achievement is much more fun than slightly increasing your odds of winning one game in a 162 game season.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have more fun pitching with Moyer than anyone else. His movement with all his pitches is amazing. I have pitched a perfect game with him all ready.

ThaSaltCracka
04-16-2004, 11:26 AM
Baseball is so much better than kicking a ball around a field /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif

William
04-16-2004, 11:42 AM
Baseball is so much better than kicking a ball around a field

Ok, I'll give you this: It's just as boring /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Simon Diamond
04-16-2004, 11:53 AM

So you would still say that if your team missed out on the post season by 1 game? Moyer getting a no-hitter is far more important than doing whats best for the franchise?

Extreme example, but always possible in professional sport. Maybe I have just misunderstood baseball for being a team sport rather than an individual one.

A similar thing happened in cricket this week. Brian Lara of the West Indies regained the world test record for runs in an innings (400n.o), but his team didn't have enough time to bowl out England twice and win the match - probably because he batted too long. Individual stats are nice, but they don't always win matches and surely the team has to come first in team sports.

Saying that, the fact his team were 3-0 down in a four match series was probably a significant factor in his decision. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Simon

ThaSaltCracka
04-16-2004, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A similar thing happened in cricket this week. Brian Lara of the West Indies regained the world test record for runs in an innings (400n.o), but his team didn't have enough time to bowl out England twice and win the match - probably because he batted too long.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?????
Asphinctersayswhat????

Simon Diamond
04-16-2004, 12:21 PM
Asphinctersayswhat????

Christ, not heard that for many years.

Cricket, its a sport. I wouldn't expect any American to ever understand though.

Simon

William
04-16-2004, 12:27 PM
Cricket, its a sport. I wouldn't expect any American to ever understand though.

I'm with rhe Americans in this one, I live 40 minutes by plane from the brits and I don't understand cricket either /images/graemlins/grin.gif

The only thing I know is that their bats have been run over by 100 trucks and that they play in their winther undies /images/graemlins/grin.gif

William /images/graemlins/cool.gif

ThaSaltCracka
04-16-2004, 12:35 PM
dont you hit a golf ball sized ball and then you run back and forth between two sticks???

Simon Diamond
04-16-2004, 12:40 PM
Something like that. Pretty silly when you put it in that context hey? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Simon

ThaSaltCracka
04-16-2004, 01:55 PM
Baseball is much better,
much better than those hard english things