PDA

View Full Version : Odds question

joker122
04-15-2004, 12:56 AM
I know this forum gets these questions all the time but I'm not great at math so I'd appreciate some help. OK here it goes.

I'm trying to figure out a "shortcut" of calculating odds with one card to come. I used to just use the outs system (if I've flopped a 9 outter I've got a 36% (9x4) chance to hit by the river) but now I'd like to know how to compute my odds of hitting on the turn alone. I know the actual method (cards that won't make your hand/cards that will) but I have a hard time reducing this fraction into something I can use.

So, is there a way to determine the odds of hitting on the turn by using the # of outs?

Thanks.

James Boston
04-15-2004, 01:25 AM
You know the method, now just memorize the odds. I can't do math quickly in my head either. I worked it out on paper and then committed it to memory.

uuDevil
04-15-2004, 01:32 AM
Joker,

You're almost there! Just do the division:
(cards that won't make your hand/cards that will (outs))

So for an open ended straight draw, the odds on the turn=
39/8= 4.88, i.e. 4.88:1 odds against making your straight.

If the pot has 5 BB in it and you have to call a bet, you have pot odds of 5:1. Since 5 > 4.88, you have a profitable opportunity to call.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Ummm, yeah.... Don't do this at the table. Calculate the odds for the common draws and memorize them.