PDA

View Full Version : What A Mess The Lakers Are

andyfox
04-15-2004, 12:56 AM
Karl Malone sprained his ankle tonight. Kobe takes no shots one game, then takes ninety of 'em. Payton is complaining he's not playing enough. Both Kobe and Payton say they don't like Phil Jackson's offense. And why should they, he's only won nine chapionships with it.

Kobe says he doesn't like Phil Jackson as a person. Shaq has taken eight free throws tonigh, and he's already made one.

Who knows, I suppose they could come together. Kobe's pretty close to Michael Jordan, at least below the neck. San Antonio has finished the season with eleven wins in a row. Three other teams in NBA history finished with eleven or more wins in a row, and they all lost in the first round.

I'd be surprised to see either the Lakers or Sacramento in the finals.

Aceshigh7
04-15-2004, 01:24 AM
Well, they may not even make it past the 1st round. Now they have to play Houston. The Rockets have a chance to send them packing early. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

The Lakers may just end up wishing they had lost this game to Portland.

andyfox
04-15-2004, 01:45 AM
Nah, I think the Lakers can handle the Rockets. Sorry.

DonWaade
04-15-2004, 01:46 AM
Andy, no disrespect because as far as the scribes go here on 2+2, you are among the best. But, the Lakers? I cannot stand the Lakers. Unfortunatley, I have to almost cheer for them because I am a Payton fan. So, if I had my wish, Malone would not even play and subsequently retire (without the scoring record). Payton would win MVP. Shaq would get traded to some obscure team like the Botswana Ballers and Kobe would go to jail. Viola!! The Lakers would find themselves in the proverbial cellar. At least until the next time a nine ring-bearing-zen enthusiast comes along with some random panache to unite two ginormous egos that have the ability to travel like Lance Armstrong in France.

Ahh in a perfect world. . . .

andyfox
04-15-2004, 02:11 AM
Thanks for the kind words, but I didn't exactly praise the Lakers in my post.

The only thing worse than the fraud that Kobe Bryant is as a person is the kid gloves that the pres has always treated him with here in L.A. A model citizen and all that.

Helluva basketball talent, though. My guess is he's gone next year.

Aceshigh7
04-15-2004, 02:28 AM
I've been hearing rumors of a sign and trade with Kobe involving the Rockets. Kobe resigns with LA and they trade him to Houston for Steve Francis. It might just be something being spread by the Kobe fans over here but I hope that doesn't happen.

If we keep Yao and Steve together, the sky's the limit.

banditbdl
04-15-2004, 03:41 AM
Sacramento is D-U-N done. Webber is hobbled and his return coupled with Bobby Jackson's injury has really killed their chemistry. They have no defense and still no go to guy at crunch time. As my brother pointed out last week while watching them play the Timberwolves on TNT, "Well there's about 6 minutes left in this game, it's about time for the Kings to put both hands around their neck and squeeze."

As for the Lakers I think you have to put them behind San Antonio and Minnesota right now because of their ongoing dysfunction and the fact the other two teams are really clicking right now, especially defensively. However, the Lakers will remain a legitimate title threat as long as they have Shaq and Kobe because both are in the select group of players who can truly dominate a game. No other team in the league can claim two such players.

Six_of_One
04-15-2004, 11:50 AM
Nothing the Lakers could do or not do could ever make me stop rooting for them...this year has certainly been frustrating, though.

Houston will be easy, but San Antonio scares me. Anyone else, and I think the Lakers win in spite of their dysfunctional selves.

What a finish to last night's game, huh?

andyfox
04-15-2004, 12:36 PM
The last shot was an open look, so, while a spectacular rainbow, it wasn't as remarkable as the one that sent the game into overtime, when the defender played Kobe perfectly as one right on top of him.

I no there are doubters, but, from the neck down, Kobe's very close to Michael.

andyfox
04-15-2004, 12:39 PM
Agree 100% on all points. I'd make Minnesota the favorite right now, except for the fact that both the Lakers and San Antonio have been there, done that, and Minnesota still need to get over a few hurdles.

The younger guys in the league could take a few work ethic pointers from Kevin Willis and Karl Malone. The NBA's two forty-somethings are in the best shape of any two players in the league. I guess that's why they're both still capable of playing on championship caliber teams.

andyfox
04-15-2004, 12:40 PM
Well the sky's certainly the limit for Yao . . . /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good luck in the playoffs.